SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mfoxjackson

My first Grandchild

mfoxjackson
12 years ago

My daughter was expecting her first child, my first grandchild, when in her 8th month of pregnancy was told that her baby had died in the womb. She needed to deliver her baby. She was given a choice to have a c section, wait to go into labor naturally, which could take up to 2 weeks, or be induced into labor. The Doc suggested against the c section as it is major surgery and any subsequent babies would have to be born that way. She opted to be induced. On Monday October 10, 2011 they started the process which ended up taking 4 days. Kiersten was born Thursday, October 13, 2011. Weighed in at 3lbs, 5 oz and 16.5 inches long. A head full of blonde hair, just like her mama had when she was born. I was there for the delivery, glad I could be there for my daughter. Glad I could be her strength.

I thought I couldn't feel any worse than I did the day we found out the baby had died. But I could and I have.

As the grandparents of a stillborn, we are called the forgotten mourners. Of course my absolute first concern is for my daughter, but people forget that I am in mourning too, Not only did I lose my Grandchild, but I am watching MY child go through something that is so indescribable, that no one should have to suffer through it. Watching MY child in so much emotional pain and not be able to kiss it away. I watched my daughter and her husband in the delivery room, holding that baby breaks my heart to no end. Talking in funeral homes about cremation and urns, when we should have been in baby stores talking about cribs and dresses and toys.

I am sorry this is such a long story, but am glad to have a place to talk about it. Thank you.

Comments (6)

Sponsored