Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomorrow I must put my loving Border Collie Rocky Richardo down

Posted by metchosingirl (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 15:26

This is just killing me inside. My Border Collie Rocky is 15 1/2, he has a huge lump on his stomach that is non cancerous, but getting to the size that he is really struggling getting up and moving around. I have taken him in the Vet twice to see if they could remove it, but after doing some blood work they say that he has other issues going on possibly with his liver and they wouldn't recommend it. I have been watching him for months wondering if I will know when it's time. Last week he seemed to go down hill, he didn't want to eat his dinner, you had to keep calling him to get him to go for a walk around the yard. He moves so slow, and is panting alot, different from the usual panting that Border Collies do. So with great sadness I went in to the Vet and set up for him to be put down tomorrow at 1pm. The past two days he seems to have gotten a little better, which makes it really hard to follow through. My husband feels it's better to let him go when he is not in total agony then to wait until something really bad happens that forces us to put him down. My heart is breaking, I can't stop the tears, he knows I am upset and he is shaking. Please give me the strength to let go of my precious friend. My own selfishness doesn't want to let him go. I am going to miss him so much, we have been together so long.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomorrow I must put my loving Border Collie Rocky Richardo do

We have lost two of our babies - a Cockapoo at 18 years old and a Brittany at 14. The same thing happened with Chelsea the Brit, she seemed better after several really bad days then the next day, much worse. We knew then it was time. Our vet had us bring her in through the back so we didn't have to deal with checking in and seeing the other pets. We had some Phenobarital at home that we were to give her before hand so that she was comfortable. We have her ashes in a cedar box and I had a paw print made and framed. Helped me deal with it.

It doesn't make it easier but you are doing the right thing. If you haven't visited this site before go to www. rainbow bridge. Its for pet owners. Bless you for giving your guy the best for all these years. Good luck.

o

i'm so sorry you are going through this. i know only too well the pain of this loss. i, too, am making plans to lay my beloved little simon to rest. he has a degenerative spinal cord disease that is slowly paralyzing him.

you have made the right decision, one made out of love. bless you for caring so much. in time, our hearts will heal but there will always be an empty spot.

(((((hugs))))) to you in your sorrow.

o

I'm so sorry.

Giving him a tranquilizer before you take him to the vet is a good idea, & be *sure* the vet knows to give him more than the "recommended" dose of medicine.

Border collies have more-powerful-than-average nervous systems, & it's much better to give more than to not give enough.

I wish you peace.

o

There are two sides to the coin: Love and grief. They are inseparable. Animals give of themselves unconditionally and it hurts so bad when we have to say goodbye. I know the pain firsthand, as anyone who has loved a pet and had to eventually send them to the bridge. They will be waiting for us when it's our time. I'm sure of that. Bless you for giving your doggie a loving home for so many years. So many animals don't get that, and you are both lucky to have had each others companionship.

Duane

o

I'm so sorry. Keep the good memories of Rocky close at heart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here