Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grief Counseling?

Posted by joannegreco (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 19:38

Just curious if anybody goes to any type of grief counseling or group. My husband & I have been going to one offered by Hospice and have found it very helpful. My kids are going to attend their berevmeant camp for kids.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grief Counseling?

My husband and I attended counseling a couple of times after we lost our daughter, Christin. After a couple of visits, we could tell that it wouldn't help us. The couselor knew the "book" on how to deal with death, but had not walked in our shoes. Our best counselor was each other. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe you will benefit, but we did not.
Lu

Here is a link that might be useful: Christin Cosby Memorial Website

o

I actually facilitate two groups using the GriefShare curriculum........I know it helped me when my husband and I attended a group. And my members now tell me that it is helping them. But each person is different and what works for one, might not work for another. These groups give the members opportunity to learn about the grieving process but also to share their feelings with each other. One of the groups is specifically for those who have lost a child, the other is mainly widows and widowers. I have lost a daughter, both parents and a brother so I can relate on some level to just about everybody. I haven't lost a spouse, but I'm learning about the unique challenges that that type of grief has and feel that I am relating better to that group.
Angela

o

My best friend died in June after a three week illness. I just talked with her husband last night. He said that the grief counseling that he and his daughter attended was very difficult at the time but they both feel that it helped them. He specifically mentioned learning the stages of the greiving process and understanding that one goes through feelings of guilt and anger and that's normal. He said they were told that the 4th to the 6th months were probably the most difficult (he's in the 5th month now) and that it would take at least a year to truly accept and deal with the death of a spouse. He was encouraged by that information somehow and continues to hang on.
VG

o

I lost my mother one month ago today, and I went to my first grief counseling group on Wednesday. Although I have only been to one group meeting so far, I think it has helped me, even if it is a little bit. I plan to keep on going.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here