SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grace3_gw

Advice please?

grace3
19 years ago

My cousin lost her husband in a tragic auto accident 2 weeks ago (his vehicle was hit by a coal truck -- the vehicle burned). He left behind 2 young daughters -- I believe their ages are about 5 & 9. This has been such a shock. The older girl seems to understand, but the younger one doesn't really seem to.

One of the things that is causing my cousin an extra measure of grief is the fear that her girls -- especially the younger one -- won't remember her daddy. And it's hard to give her any reassurances in that area, because, in truth, it does seem likely that she *won't* have a lot of memories of him.

But I wondered if maybe there are things my cousin could do, with both of the girls, that would help to reinforce the memories of their daddy that are fresh now, and that would perhaps help to keep those memories from fading so much. Like, would it help to, every few months, talk about specific things? ("Remember when we went to the beach this summer? What was your favorite thing that you did there with Daddy?")

Does anyone have any advice/experience to share that I could pass on to my cousin?

Comments (5)

Sponsored