Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ran into a friend

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 13, 05 at 18:34

A friend's only son was killed in a motorcycle crash 5 years ago. He was a bright shining star of a guy, high achiever, great athlete, superb student, etc. I hadn't seen her in a while, and she related they were doing some work in the house (carpet, painting), and they had finally ventured into their son's room to work there also. Not much had been done in his room for the past 5 years, and she was relating how hard it was even now. Every little thing in the room brought up emotions just sitting below the surface.

I don't know why I am sharing this, but I'm so glad I ran into her and she could share with someone who knew her son and the situation. I know it means a lot to be able to talk about the loss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ran into a friend

Thanks for sharing, Socks. Yes, you are so right. It probably did her a lot of good to be able to express to you what she was feeling about going through her son's room. As I've said before. That is my biggest stumbling block. I have still kept even the trash in my daughter's trash can. It represents what she bought and the candy she ate etc. those last days. It's special to me and may seem so crazy to others. Oh well. Until you go through it, you just don't know.
Lu

o
RE: Ran into a friend

My mother was gone a year last month, and only within the past month have I been able to start going through things in the storage compartment and getting rid of them. Were it not for the fact that keeping this large of a unit is a financial burden on me, I probably wouldn't be able to do it for a long time yet. I can totally understand people not being able to touch a loved one's things, especially when the passing was so sudden and tragic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here