Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joan Didion's new book

Posted by Alisande (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 15:03

The Year of Magical Thinking is getting a lot of press, and it's been nominated for a National Book Award. I read an exerpt and was deeply affected by it. The book is Didion's memoir of the year following her husband's sudden cardiac death, which in turn followed their only daughter's coma from infection. In the book, Didion writes of her daughter's recovery, but after she finished the book her daughter died. So tragic. But the book might be worth reading for some. It's all about grief.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joan Didion's new book

I've read the book...just finished it last night.

The book is a tad redundant in places, as she uses large amounts of passages from other books she and her husband have written. She also uses the same quotes again and again throughout the book.

She has mega, MEGA connections in showbiz and in the news media biz. Her husband was VERY well known in the industry. And she has an excellent publicist. These may be reasons she's getting a ton of press.

It's a good book to try to get a feeling about her personal grief over the death of her husband and she brings up so many good points about the grief process and how the mourning part begins. She also has very good explanations defining the difference between grief and mourning.

Thsi book would make a lot of sense to people who are married or who have experienced the death of a spouse. It's a quick read too. I read it in a weekend.

o
RE: Joan Didion's new book

My healthy, handsome, very youthful middle-aged Lance Armstrong type husband died suddenly of a massive aneurism this January--on our wedding anniversary.... I've been trying to make sense of an incomprehensible loss; to my mind, Didion captures the irrationality and emotional devastation of grief better than any of the official loss-and-mourning primers that I came across. I also appreciated her lack of sentiment, while at the same time she captured the intensity of the tidal waves of grief and loss that sweep over you so strongly with devastating accuracy. I found it a true book.... I think we are all a bit crazy after an experience like this. I know I am struggling to find meaning in my life again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here