Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwhelmed

Posted by nutbar (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 19:46

I am overwhelmed. My mother is in palliative care dying from small cell lung cancer and my best friend for the last 10 years(my dog)is also suffering. He also has cancer and it has caused him to develope hemolytic autoimmune anemia. He hasn't has much of an appetite for the last 6 weeks. I cook him roast beef, chicken, everything I can think of to get him to eat. I haven't had him put to rest yet because he still had that light in his eyes and was still swimming everyday. In the last 2 days he seems like he is in discomfort. I know I have to take him and have his pain put to an end. I am overwhelmed by this. He has been the very best friend I have ever had in my life. I don't know how to get through this and knowing that I am going to lose my mother in a very short time makes it even harder. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get through this? I don't know how or if I can get through this. I am having meltdowns every half hour.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwhelmed

My thought is, if you can deal with it a little longer, be with your dog when he dies. If he is in terrible pain & you can't stand to see him suffer, have the vet come to your house to put him to sleep. That way, you can be with him in familiar territory. It will comfort both of you.
My prayers are with you. LizAnne

o

LizAnne's advice is good, and if you can't get a vet to come to the house stay with him when he's put to sleep at the vet's. I've had to make this decision for many dogs and cats over the years, and it never gets any easier. I waited too long with a couple of them, and those are the ones I feel guilty about today.

I hope you will read the thread on this forum about pets going to heaven. I've personally had spiritual experiences involving my animals and am completely convinced that they do in fact survive in another form, as people do, and you will see your best friend again.

Susan

o

Thank you both for your support. Susan I especially want to say thank you to you for reaffirming my belief that Sam is now in heaven.

Sam is gone now. I took him to the vet on Wednesday. I layed on a blanket on the floor with him and held his paw and stroked his head and kissed him while he was leaving me. It was difficult but I know it was time. I know he is better off now. I miss him terribly and I know I will for a very long time. It is going to be difficult but I keep picturing him in heaven wagging his tail and barking his happy bark and I want (need) to believe that is where he is.

o

Nutbar, you did the right thing. Sam will be waiting for you on the Rainbow Bridge. Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. You've probably seen this before but here it is again. Peace be with you at this very difficult time. He was a very lucky lil furbaby to have you.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

o

Pets easily become family, they are so loving. You made the right, very difficult, decision.
When I had to make this decision I bought another pet from the pound, not to replace my beloved, but to help us both in a hard time.
Try to enjoy the time you have left with your Mother and remember the good times with her and your pet.
God bless us all,
Rosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here