SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ozarkmountains

Individualized Grieving

ozarkmountains
12 years ago

My mother had breast cancer, had surgery, then radiation. Her surgeon told her she did NOT need to have chemo, but the cancer doctor told her she did. She could not afford the chemo, so the cancer doctor presented her with an option to take a trial chemo. He prescribed this chemo to be taken hard and fast, not like it is normally taken. She trusted him and chose to do this. Three years later she started noticing that she had shortness of breath. She went to a lung doctor and found out she had to wear oxygen 22 out of 24 hours because she had pulmonary fibrosis caused by the chemo treatments. She was in shock. She did as she was told but we knew she would not have a long life. She died at 75, one month ago today. I am dealing with the grieving, I think, quite well. However, I am angry at the doctor for 'encouraging' her to take the chemo when he knew there was a very good chance it would burn her lungs. He even had the nerve to send my father a sympathy card complimenting my mother on what a good patient she was. I feel like he took advantage of his wisdom as a doctor by insisting she have this type of chemo. How do I handle my anger? I want to write this doctor a very ugly letter.

Comments (6)

Sponsored