Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've started a tradition

Posted by DawnStorm (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 04 at 16:09

Sept. 11 would've been my parent's 50th anniversary if my Dad had lived. He died in April of 2001, and I make it point to talk to my mom on important days like Sept 11, my dad's birthday, etc. I tell her that he's in a better place and while we all miss him, we will be together again someday. The important days in my family are still painful, especially to my mom, and she at least is always glad when they're over, but I think it helps to at least call her to see how she's doing. Last week, I reminded her of the life they had together and told her that NO ONE can take that away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've started a tradition

Dawn, I am sorry for the loss of your dad. I know how much you and your mom must miss him. I know it does help on these anniversaries to recieve a call or a card just to let them know that you also are missing them too. I think that is a nice tradition. On my side of the family on Christmas Eve we also started a tradition by lighting a candle for the ones we lost and talking about them. On my husbands side of the family they act like they never existed. It sure does help to know that they are remembered. September 11 is also a very hard day for me too. That would have been my daughters 25th birthday. We lost her 2 years ago and my dad 5 weeks before her. You are so right that know one can ever take away the life you had with your loved one or the memories. Julie

o

Dawn, you are a very loving daughter and you will never regret the comfort that you give to your mom. I have no doubt that she appreciates it so much. I wish so much that my sweet daughter was here to comfort me now that my mom is gone. I miss them both so much and although, I have a very precious son, he just doesn't talk about them as much as I would like for him to. I don't think that is uncommon from what I have read and from what people have told me about their experiences.
Julie, I can't imagine losing two loved ones that close together. Did the grief just all blend together?
Lu

o

Dawn, you are doing a wonderful thing and it will live in your heart forever. to reach out to your mom like you are doing and call her and open the door for conversations to allow her to talk about her feelings and you tell her yours are wonderful. families usually "know" what is on each others minds on difficult days and it must be so very appreciated that you take the initiative to make these calls. i am sure it means a great deal to your family.
i am so sorry for the loss of your dad....

deb

o

My husband passed in 1993 just when the grandchildren were coming along in our lives. None of them will remember him but we started putting little notes in Grampa's Christmas stocking about each grandchild -about their previous year, likes,accomplishments,school activities,etc.,just little things they would like Grampa to know about them. Also our children and I all write him a Christmas letter of our own. We also light a candle on special days.

o

Dawn, what a sweet, loving daughter you are, a blessing to your mother. Don't stop keeping in touch with her on those special days. It means more to her than she can even express.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here