Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grief, Loss of my mother

Posted by tammara1 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 11:24

My mother died on August 27th. I am the only daughter and the oldest of 3 living children. I am completely numb most days and find it difficult to control my emotions. One of my brothers acts as if my feelings are beyond the norm. From all of the resources I have read through I am fine. I hate to use the word normal. There is never going to be a "normal" again. I am 45 years old and my children are grown. I love my family and we are extremely close and yet I feel so alone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grief, Loss of my mother

I am sorry about your mom, but realize it will take a full year to asorb the loss etc. Also it is important to find a good grief course in your area. Being with others will answer some of your quesions. Look in the paper, social services at the hospital etc. Start a memory book and work on it each day, if you feel like it. Pictures, thoughts, letters etc.

o

I don't know about the one year business. I think it is different for everybody. Some people are closer to their parents than others. My mom passed almost 3 years ago and I still break down and cry almost every few days. We were very close and I miss her so very much. The one year time frame is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps for some that would be okay, but I certainly would not use that as a basis for every person and their time for appropriate grief.

Duane

o

I lost my Mom 4 years ago. I still cry a few times every month. Several years ago I asked her if she still thought about her Mother, My Grandma..she said "oh honey, I think about her everyday". I remember thinking how extraordinary that was. Now I get it.

I have to share this poignant moment I had. I had returned home from my Mom's funeral in another state. My hubby and I took care of his mother, who was wheelchair bound. She had her sister and cousin over. I was sharing what it was like to lose my Mother. Aunt Wanda, who was 80 started crying. I felt so bad that I made this old woman cry. Then she said "I was crying, because I was remembering MY MOTHER crying at Christmas time, because she missed HER MOTHER". I said "Let me get this straight, you are crying over your mother who was crying over her mother"? LOL. Ya know how you laugh and cry at the same time? I never had a moment in life like that..We women stared at each other. The bond women share, mothers..love..life..it is so special. I now know how very important I am to MY DAUGHTER and only child. The memories I make with her will comfort her when I am gone. Still, I cry. She is expecting her first and most likely only child a boy. I am so sad my Mom didn't get to see him. But life goes on..and as bad as I miss Mom, a new grandchild is coming and a new chapter in my life.

Do you honestly think your brother gets how you feel? NO..most guys don't. So honey, you just grieve for your Mom as long as you need to. It is a testimony to the love you had for her. It will subside..but the deep longing for her will not go away. At least mine hasn't. But life is still full of joy. Take Care..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here