SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph_y

Im a sister, who no longer has a brother...

steph_y
16 years ago

I found this forum by typing in "I miss my brother" in google. Im not sure what I want to accomplish with this message. I think I felt compelled because an odd amount of people have posted messages about losing a brother and I havent found that anywhere else. It has been 3 months since my brother was killed in a drunk driving accident and in about 2 weeks I am suppose to give a victim impact statement at the sentancing hearing for the guy who killed him. I guess Im asking for help. Im only 20 years old and my brother was 21. He was my best friend and people often mistaked us for twins, I have never seen a brother/sister realationship like the one me and my brother had. He knew me better then anyone else in this world. We went through divorces, break-ups, dysfunctional families and heartbreaks together. We liked the same movies, music and shows. It was drilled in us at a young age that there would come a day when our parents wouldnt be around and we were going to have to take care of each other. I have never felt more alone in my life. I'm thankful for all the people who are here for me, but it still feels like I am all alone now.

To be honest, I dont care what happens to this guy who was 3x the legal drinking limit, who was behind the wheel, that flipped the car, that hit the metal post, that crushed my brothers head, where it skidded 300feet and mangled my brother's body in the passenger seat. My best coping method is pretending that it doesnt exist. I want to pretend this guy doesnt exist. But when I go into that courtroom, which feels like something I have to do, I'm going to have to face this person who has changed my life and I feel like reality is crushing me. Im suppose to start my Junior year at Portland State University but all I want to do is sleep. Im getting pretty good at faking "normal" and sometimes i feel weird that people dont understand the depth of my pain because he was my brother and not a husband or a parent or grandparent. But this is the first, worst death I have experience in my life and it was only person I trusted throughout my life.

What am I suppose to do now? I've read stories about people that have died 1, 2, 3...5..10 years ago and I can barely fathom the thought of tomorrow without Stephen. How am I suppose to be a sister, without a brother? These are not empty questions, these are real questions that I welcome answer too because I have no idea what Im doing at this point. THank you for taking the time to read this if you have. Its a nice break from faking smiles and jokes and acting "normal"...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio