Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 years later still sucks

Posted by johnsboy (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 2:10

my dad died five years ago. i find myself still staying up late, maybe having too much to drink, thinking about it. To this day i can't believe he's gone. i've turned my life upside down, moved out of state away from my family, i don't know what else to do. i guess it will never go away. if i die tomorrow, it won't bother me because i'll get to see him. i told my wife that one night, in the heat of the moment after a very vivid dream. that's messed up, but true. i would give anything to see him again, including my own life. If i didn't have a wife and children, i would have already done it. please tell me someone else has these feelings for so many years after the fact.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 years later still sucks

Have you seen a counselor about this? If not, I think you should find a good one. If you're already seeing one, perhaps you should look for another. Yours is clearly a multi-issue situation, impossible to address here.

Your screen name strikes me as significant: Johnsboy. As a husband and a father, you have assumed a man's role in the world. Although one would hope your "inner boy" is still very much alive and well, he shouldn't dominate. If this sounds tough on you, it's because I think it's time to start living the life I'm sure your dad would want for you. For the sake of everyone in your family, including yourself and your father's spirit, please get some help.

o
RE: 5 years later still sucks

Johnsboy - I agree with Alisande's advice. It's time to seek some real help. A counselor may be able to help you figure out why you are still struggling with this 5 years after your father's passing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here