SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaye820

I can't be the only one

kaye820
17 years ago

DH had been desperately ill for 9 years, and he passed away last year on Labor Day weekend. We had some very dear friends with whom we had been close since the '70s. We spent many long weekends and vacations together, became good friends of their grown children and even grandchildren, and we exchanged gifts at Christmas and for birthdays. When our own family members would visit we would take them to see our dear friends. These people were truly like family.

DH was diagnosed in 1997 with liver failure and diabetes and our friends had come to town to visit someone else, but they did come to the hospital to check on him. That was nine years ago and we, nor I, have not seen them since. I couldn't dwell on it to much back then as I was DH's caregiver and worked full time as well. We still received Christmas cards from these friends but never with an explanation of why there had been no contact and never with an invitation to come to their house when DH felt up to traveling. The only time we talked on the phone was when we called them, and eventually we began to get the message.

DH was terribly hurt and felt wounded by their abandonment, because in addition to the personal relationship we had, he and the husband were professionals in the same field and collaborated on some projects.

When DH died last year I called them to let them know. They were sorry to hear it but otherwise sort of glossed over my loss. Again, I have not heard a word from them since that call. So I called them last night. The husband didn't remember who I was, and the wife chit-chatted a little about their family and asked if I was okay, and then invited me to come to their house for a visit.

As I said, I can't be the only one to experience this kind of disappointment. Have any of you sustained such an injury from those you loved? Should I drive several hours to visit them at home?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!