Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something light hearted

Posted by gardenbug (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 04 at 9:35

Although it is true that Elisabeth Kubler-Ross died this past week, I found this to be a cute joke:

I was reading my morning paper, and saw that Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, author of "On Death and Dying" had died.
I couldn't believe it. It made me so mad.
I thought that I would give up my morning coffee if only it weren't true, and I was so sad.
But finally, I finished my coffee and went to work.

(And in case you don't get it, The person went through
Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Mourning -- sadness
Acceptance )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something light hearted

That's cute. I didn't realize that she had left this past week. I do believe that some people believe that others can get through these stages almost that fast. Obviously, they haven't lost some one who they truly love, yet.

Lu

o

Yes, I too heard of her passing.. I thought, how ironic... just when I am learning of these steps.. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, author, passes away.. how sad. May she rest in peace...

Star

o
RE: Light hearted, but a good Example of Grief Stages

It's a good, simple explanation of the stages of grief. It's also an illustration of the brief sadness we feel about the passing of someone known to us only through the media.

Kubler-Ross's work matured as she matured. Reading her early work is very different to her later books. She experienced a lot of anger when she had a stroke. In addition to her work, for anyone looking for books on grief Therese A. Rando is a highly recommended author.

Nell

o

If you find Kubler-Ross's "On Death and Dying" interesting and relevant to your own experience, you might find it interesting to comparatively read a short story,"The Death of Ivan Ilyich", written in 1886 by Russian Leo Tolstoy.
Written almost 100 years apart, they fit like hand and glove. It occurs to me that life's fundamental experiences don't change much across cultures and ages. Still we grieve. Derry

o

I was interested to read in the paper that Kubler-Ross listed four phases of the afterlife:

1-leaving the physical body
2-meeting angels or spirit guides
3-traversing a tunnel toward a bright light
4-becoming spiritual energy

I was interested to read this, because as my mother lay dying in a nursing home, she mentioned people she saw, in particular her sister who died decades ago. I believe she was meeting her spirit guides.

o

Socks, my mom saw people too. She also stated just four days prior to her death, "I'm going to die". I wasn't there when she said that, and wish that I could have tried to talk to her more about it. She wasn't very verbal at all before her death, but maybe I could have gotten something out of it.
I wish that when she told me just one night before her death, "I see her", that I would have pressed her more as to who she saw. She said, " I see her". Then, I asked her who she saw and she didn't answer me. About a minute or two later, she said, "Bye" to whoever she saw. I do believe that she was communicating with that person she said she saw. She Alzheimer's and couldn't hold a thought for as long as she did from the time she told me she saw her to the time she said, "Bye".
It's so easy to say what we should have done.
Lu

o

oh, my.. Lu.. those would have been intersting answers to hear if she could have given them to you. Maybe it was meant to be for her ears only.

I think I would be interested in reading that Kubler-Ross book and the listed four phases of the afterlife. I have always felt a need for years now.. and especially now to hae something to have faith in and if you could call it.. understanding.. to the point of reassurance. Does that make sense?

Starrr

o

It makes all the sense in the world, Starr. DW

o

I'm glad you explained the joke, which was clever. (I'm tired tonight, and not clever!) I hadn't heard about Kubler-Ross...How old was she?

S.

o

She was 78.
Once saying of her impending death, "I am like a plane that has left the gate and not taken off."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Southwest/08/25/obit.kublerross.ap/

o

When my best friend's mother was dying, she said she kept reaching up. When she'd ask her what she needed, she just smiled and kept reaching. My friend said it was one of the most beautiful/heartwrenching things you can imagine.

o

Every time I read this thread I swear I'm going to buy her book.. I want to read more about her phases and reasoning on the afterlife. I'll not forget this time..

It has been nice spending some time talking aboutelisabeth Kubler-Ross. Good Thread.

Star

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here