Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poem for funeral

Posted by newhomeseeker (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 9:15

I'm 28 and my grandmother passed away last night after being hospitalized for quite a while. I've been asked to find a poem to read at her funeral and am looking for suggestions. Something that might be meaniful for her two daughters and son or her other granchildren (3). I've asked them for suggestions but no one wants to think about it right now. She suffered from Alzheimers for the last 10 years (it was very severe the last 3 years) so there isn't anything that comes to mind that she read or enjoyed recently. I"ve tried to write something myself but I just end up crying and can't concentrate. ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poem for funeral

I'm sorry that I'm just now getting this. You have probably already had your grandmother's funeral by now. I hope you found something appropriate.
I'm really sorry for your loss. Besides losing a loved one, dealing with Alzheimer's and death which results is a horrible thing to go through. I know, because my mom had Alzheimer's.
Lu

o

Thank you for replying. Yes, Alzheimer's is difficult it is almost as though you have to say goodbye to your loved one twice. Once as they start to be overcome with the alzheimers symptoms and forget who you are and become childlike once again, and then when they pass away. I did two poems, one called WHen God called you Home and one that i saw on here called If Roses grow in heaven. I changed the wording of it to "Grandma" instead of mother and had all of the grandchildren sign their names to it and place it in the casket. Again thank you for your kind words.

o

This is probably not appropriate for your grandmother, but it's a poem that describes the lament of grief better than anything else I've ever read, especially the last two stanzas.

After the Funeral (Stop all the Clocks)
by W.H. Auden

Stop all the clocks, cut of the telephone
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone
Silence the pianos and with a muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead
Put crpe bows round the white necks of the public doves
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves

He was my North, my South, my East and West
My working week and my Sunday rest
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong

The stars are not wanted now, put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood
For nothing now can ever come to any good

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here