Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
web sites for the loved ones

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Sat, Aug 28, 04 at 6:08

For those of you who are have web sites for your loved ones, who is hosting your service or did your web page? I have been in the process of trying to put something together but I am not happy with the options I have right now. It has been years since I uploaded web pages and things have changed so much. Lu, your page for Christin is beautiful and I have seen a few others as well.

Thanks for any tips.

deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: web sites for the loved ones

My web pages are hosted by my server. Many servers have web space as part of your service with up to 10 mb of space. They also offer assistance with building your site. Most have 'templates' where you just type in your information and it's lined up for you and uploading photos is explained in easy to understand language. If you know a little HTML code you can add more than your own photos, such as artwork or fancy borders. The server usually has that information available or a link to where you can learn.

The big advantage that I found to using the server where you're already paying is that there is no advertising. I find that very distracting on those online sites that offer 'free' web space.

Nell

o

I may try that too... I do get annoyed with the advertising.. especially the tricky ones that keep popping back up in your face and you cannot type or read.

I'll check out that info for myself as well.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Starduster

o

Deb, I think ours is Angelfire. We didn't do the site ourselves. A friend of ours did.
I have a friend who also lost her daughter and before her daughter left, she didn't even know how to turn a computer on. After Shelly left, she made a beautiful site for her all by herself. Deb, I wish I could help you more. I think it takes a lot of trial and error work to get it down pat.
Lu

o
RE: Getting Started

It took a year for me to decide to make a website just for Gary.

I first made a site of photos of my flowers and it grew. Then I made another using old family photos that my nephew had scanned, just to entertain family members. It was simply busy work to get through the first anniversary and to learn just how everything worked. Then I finally made the 'real' website. I deliberately chose not to use last names or a lot of personal information. The peculiar thing is, I didn't show any of it to DH until a month after it was finished.

I've noticed that on my server, looking over the websites of others, that many people start a website and then either lose interest or forget how to go back. Be sure to write down any URL for the site and ALL passwords. A little prompt or two on what you're doing might be a good thing to write down, too.

The good thing about the websites that have 'templates' is that you can easily delete and add at will if you change your mind.

An easy way to start is to decide on a title for the page or pages, then write out a little text. Choose a couple of photos and get going!

o

Thanks for your help. If you can believe this, I used to write HTML and upload web pages before all the software came out and did my companies web pages this way. Have not done this in quite a few years other than playing around with some sites. I will look into it with my provider.
thanks, deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here