Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Happy Memory

Posted by hamc36 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 4:54

I would like to share a memory of my brother, who died suddely, in May 06. My Mother, my son and I drove to Calgary to visit Bob in August 05. It turned out to be the last time we saw him alive. I had taken an airmattress for my son to sleep on. The previous summer, Bob's kittens had scratched tiny holes in it, and we had to fill it every night. Bob had an airpump that he was exciited about. He insisted that once the mattress was full, the pump would disengage itself. He kept pumping and pumping until we heard a loud pop. He had blown a huge hole into the the mattress. Bob got out his mending kit, and put glue and a patch on the hole. We put a book on top of the patch, and took turns standing on it for weight. Anyhow, while I was standing on the book, he left the room for a few minutes. When he came back, he, very formally, shook my hand and said "I would like to present you with the award for being the best sister in the world" and he gave me a GPS.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Happy Memory

Thank you for sharing you wonderful story and happy memory, your brother obviously loved you very much.
God Bless you.

o

That IS a happy memory. What a nice brother! I'm sorry he passed away. Keep that good memory and others close at heart; it's clear you enriched each other's lives. Thanks for sharing the air matteress/GPS moment!

o

I'm glad you shared that story. If I had a brother, I'd want him to feel that way about me. I'll bet you have many wonderful memories of Bob.

o

Thank you. I do have many good memories of Bob. I'm trying
to focus on them rather than his death, and what could have been (although, you all know how hard that is). He was such a sweet guy. His friends would joke about how cheap he was. "Bob still has the first dollar he ever earned" Yet, when his friends were down on their luck, he'd take them in and let them live with him, rent-free. After he died, one of his roomates told me that Bob paid his tuition, in exchange for a promise to re-wire Bob's house. It was just like Bob to give his friend this generous gift, and not mention it to anyone.

o

Your story brings tears to my eyes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here