Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Friend Dying

Posted by popi (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 3:42

I have an older friend, a gentleman, who is dying from cancer.

I greatly admire this person, and his wife and know that I must phone them and visit.

But I just don't know what to say...

What does one say to a friend who is dying ?

This man is 76, so he has had a wonderful life.

Thanks for advice.

POPI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Friend Dying

Popi, call and say 'I just heard the news about ... - is there anything I can do to help you?

o

Talk about the good times. Remind him of the fun you've had together. It will take his mind off of the obvious and hopefully make him smile and realize that he really has had a good life. I can't believe all the wonderful things said about one of my friends AFTER he was dead. Say those things now. --Kris

o

Several years ago I had a dear, older friend who was diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer. She had moved to another town, and was too ill to have visitors. So one night, I found a beautiful card, and wrote of my admiration and love for her, and how she had such a profound influence on my life. Sometimes we feel funny or embarrassed to open or share our feelings this way, but I was so glad I did. I called a few weeks later and her daughter answered the phone, who told me how much the card meant to her mother. When her mother realized it was me, she asked for the phone and we got to say our goodbyes.

Last year, on September 16, my dad also died of cancer. We are a big family, so the last week of his life was in hospice, and there was never a chance to be with him by himself. But one day, Mama and my sister decided to make a quick trip home to check the mail, wash some clothes, etc., and it was just me and Daddy. I cut the tv off, held his hand, kissed his forehead, and through my tears, told him how much I loved him, how much he meant to me. I'm crying now as I think of his sweet face smiling at me. I know I am blessed that I had that time with him and I will treasure it the rest of my life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here