Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Afraid to look at my Mom's death certificate

Posted by socal2010 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 0:14

My mom passed away suddenly 2 weeks ago. I'm still afraid to look at her death certificate. She had some health problems that we've been watching for years but ironically she didn't die from those. She has an undiagnosed tumor in her lungs. Now I'm scared to see what the cause of death is. I know if will say something about the tumor but I'm afraid it will be other things too, maybe something that could have been prevented.

Tomorrow my stepdad and I were going to the bank to close out her accounts, and they want to see the certificate. I'm so scared to bring it with me. It doesn't make any sense at all since it's not going to change anything no matter what is listed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Afraid to look at my Mom's death certificate

socal2010

Just fold it up and put it in a folder to give to the bank. Thank you for the sweet things you said to me about my family.
Brother bought a condo and sister went to live at her daughters house.
I helped my sister pack up all the stuff left behind and we had some huge yard sales. But I dragged home tons of stuff in boxes. I only had a path thru my back bedroom. It has taken me a year to go through those boxes and I still have a hard time with the paperwork. I have to wonder why I felt the need to keep the things I did... what 50 yr old woman needs 12 hammers?
There is something about seeing death on paper that makes it too real for me. I can not pretend if its in black and white on an official document...
Looking back at those first days after Momma died, I don't know how we did it, we just did what we had to do.... I had to call everyone I love and find out where they were, know they were safe. I did this every day and sometimes several times a day for months. I made them all say aloud that they promised me they would not die within a year.
I still have all that paperwork, it isnt going anywhere. I put it in a big manillia envelope in a box labeled 'stuff to sort thru later'
Know that you are loved by many people and be open to those unexpected friends who will love you through this time.
sending you love and peace... Vicki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here