SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_wilson_gw

and then, out of the blue, the grief returns...

Bill_Wilson
19 years ago

It's been over 7 months since Dad died. My brother & I spent last Saturday working on the front porch of Mom's house, making some needed repairs. Dad always took care of this kind of stuff. He had planned on making these repairs this Spring and it felt really strange working on his house without him there.

I got home late that evening, unloaded my truck and put my tools away. As I was leaving my shop, I reached up to grasp Dad's nail apron, which has hung just inside my shop door since the funeral. This has become a ritual for me and it serves as way to maintain some connection to him.

All the sudden, my emotions just let loose like a flood. I stood there hanging onto this nail apron, crying like a baby for several minutes. This was the longest emotional outburst I've experienced in a couple months and it caught me totally by surprise. I guess I'm just constantly amazed at how close to the surface this grief is. At times I think life has returned to normal and I've gotten over all this, then something like this happens.

I know this is normal and I'm not necessarily looking for advice or even sympathy, just wanted to tell someone and knew that you folks would understand. Thanks for "listening".

Comments (30)

Sponsored