SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berniekelly_gw

Coping with my mother in law

berniekelly
16 years ago

My mother in law and husband had no contact for the last twelve years. Both sides were at fault in my opinion but when his grandmother died and he only found out months later through solicitors he really felt his family wanted nothing to do with him.

To be honest when he died it did cross my mind briefly not to contact them but I thought she had a right to know. I don't know I just thought she would attend the funeral, see her grand daughter and that would be that.

She is ringing me weekly and she is the most inquisitive women I ever met. I only met her twice before the row with herself and my husband so I don't know her and to be honest beyond politness etc don't want a friendship with this woman.

She infuriated me yesterday when she rang firstly saying she wanted a copy of his death cert - why, did she want a copy of his wedding cert. and secondly hinting that when she came to visit she might stay with me. That is really too much I don't mind her coming to see the grave, meeting my daughter and coming for a mug of tea etc.

Every time she rings she goes on about how she loved him too (never said she didn;t) and that she lost the three men in her life (husband and other son twenty odd years ago). Well I lost a husband and friend but its not a competition as to who misses him the most.

I have always been nice to her on the phone and angry afterwards.

Am I being unreasonable - come visit if you want, see my daughter and leave it at that.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996