Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
packing up house help

Posted by flowersnow (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 14:21

A friend of mine told me that when she divorced, she hired a company that came in and packed up her stuff, took it to auction, sold it, kept a %, and then gave her the money. She had enough to do without selling her stuff.

Has anyone heard of what this business would be called? Unfortunately, I have a very sick family member who never married and is a pack rat! I know that when he goes, my sister and I, his family, won't want much from his house, but I don't want to stress out and make 300 trips to goodwill.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: packing up house help

It is very common here in the midwest to do auctions. Look in the paper or yellow pages. Some are better than others. Usually after the auction, the remainder goes to thrift stores etc. Don't know if they are licensed or not, but I think here they are. You could check with your local county offices. Usually the auctions people come to the house, and even sell houses. Don't know about cleaning, but they will sort the stuff out.

o
RE: packing up house help

Where I live in Easteren NC the Salvation army will come and get all the stuff you don't want. They do not pack it or pay you. There has to be one big thing like a sofa or a stove to justify the truck comming out though. Out here Good Will does not make collections. Good luck. Vicki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here