Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Depression

Posted by sylviatexas (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 10:29

I wrote this in response to another post, but it applies to everyone who is grieving, heck, it applies to everyone who feels "down", who has a "blue day", who finds him/herself less able to function.

Depression is a downward spiral;
We tend to think "it'll get better", & often it does, but sometimes it doesn't, & every minute we lose to it is time we've lost forever.

Depression is our mortal enemy;

even if it doesn't kill you, it robs you of your life.

The *one thing* that I know of that we can all do ourselves, no doctor, no meds, no expense, is to oxygenate our blood:

exercise, get your heart pumping, get some oxygen to your brain, & your synapses will fire more efficiently.

When you think that it's useless to try & that nothing can possibly help...that's depression, not reality.

When you dread the very idea of moving a muscle, that's exactly when you need oxygenated blood the most.

If you can't stir yourself to move, join an exercise group or bicycling group, sign up for an aerobics class, etc.

Having a schedule & a bunch of people who know you're supposed to be there gives you the structure to get going.

I'm always amazed by the courage & touched by the heart evidenced on this Forum:

You all have grief, & yet you all write about the people who need you & who rely on you, & you all write about the love that you feel for your families here in this world as well as for the ones you've lost.

Remember that *you* are woven into that same "family fabric" or "fabric of life", & that you're important to the design...& take good care of yourself.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Depression

Thank you so much for your post,you are absolutely right. I feel much better if I go to my curves classes and work out, it does get your heart pumping and I have less bouts of depression. I missed my classes for 3 weeks because I had broncitis but I am going back this week because I know it will help, thanks for the push.

o

I read your message, and it is something that I know to be so true. It is like so many of the posts on this forum...I have been reading without posting for the last month or so. It is so full of wonderful people who care, that it makes me cry, literally. I have been very moved by what I have read, and by how much care the members here take with each other. I hope that I can give something back too.

My younger brother died of depression and the terrible pressure he had put on himself.
I recall speaking to him on numerous occasions, asking him to please go for a walk in the evening in this beautiful park just a block away, ride a stationary bike for a half-hour if that was a better option. For reasons I will not explain in this message, it was to no avail. My brother was quite brilliant, but something else kept him from accepting my advice about the proven benefits of exercise, and the mind to body relationship.

Thank you for writing this, as it is something that I myself need to do, as I have lapsed in my exercise regime and it's time to go a bit beyond walking to work in favour of the bus. Small steps, small steps, get there eventually..

thank you

o

Thanks for the reminder Sylvia. That's great advice. Exercise may not help everyone who has depression, but it sure won't hurt.

My wife took her own life due to crushing depression and while being in shape and having a rigorous exercise routine didn't help her, it may help others.

I tell anyone who will listen to me to try EVERYTHING and ANYTHING if your depression isn't getting better. Therapy, medication, support groups, acupuncture, prayer, burning candles, going on a walk, playing music, artwork, boxing, or just standing naked in the driveway howling at the moon.

Depression steals lives. It will not give them back without a fight.

Try it all. If it works, it works.

Best wishes to all - Doc

o

On a similar note, drink 8 8 oz glasses of water - be sure to measure and count - every day.

I'm serious. As a depression sufferer whose tried everything (except that driveway thing :) ) when I went on Jenny Craig and got into the water routine - it helped much more than any meds I had suffered through.

The warmth of sunshine - thinking of things to be thankful for - even if small things.

Treating a mood will help then to treat the thoughts.

And knowing that God cares and is there for you.

Wishing for each of you a peace that passes all understanding.

o

you are making me think. i have wrestled with depression for 25 years now. i always do better when active. but hey check this out...right now i have a dream job... i work for a big corporation, good money, i roll out of bed and log on for work. thats it, no commute, no high gas prices, i am at home with the kids.... but the sedentary life style is very bad for me... the lack of face to face communication is extremely bad for my depression triggers, i want to get fired, i cant stand this.... and then i have guilt.... because everyone say's oh what a great job, you are so lucky, how ungrateful..... but they aren't in this body.... i think i might be happier making 40K less and working from sunup to sundown on a farm, because of just what you said, the oxygenation..... but the kicker is..... i have 3 kids, one in college and 2 in junior high, and being a single mom/provider is forcing me to stay at this good paying joband continue to log on.... everyone's dream job, everyones trophymy hell. i am looking for another job and i am supposed to hear within 3 weeks. its a 17K pay cut, but its close to home, if i dont get it, i am not sure what i'll do...... i need to move about, like you said, oxygenation. thx for the insight, it helps me define my limits.

o

Good advice...the exercise, being out in the sunshine, drinking water...it's all beneficial. My family & I (husband and two of my three kids) resumed our daily morning mile long walk today, our first since my mother passed in July. It felt so good to get out and sweat and be in the fresh air.

o

Keeping busy helps stave off depression, for a while. I find that when I crash, I crash hard. I think one of the hardest things to do when depressed is actually get up and DO something, anything. I call it "Lackawanna Disorder" (no disrespect to those from western/upstate NY!) because I just "lack the want" to do anything.

My best treatment for depression? Spending quality time with my son. Watching him discover new things, and seeing the joy that little things bring him, is salve for a weary soul. I wish I could spend all my time with him.
Beyond that, the grief is still there, the heartache and sadness and feeling as though a part of me is missing. Because she's missing and she's not coming back.

It is so easy to slip into a depressed state if we don't take care of our daily needs, both physical and spiritual.

I had to learn all over again how to take care of myself, because I relied on her for so much. I had to do it so I could in turn take care of my son. In many ways this has helped me to become a better father. It's helping me to find happiness again... Slowly, small bits at a time.

o

Dave,I think I am begining to come out of the depression I was in, I am taking more interest in my home, my crafts, my job and just life in general. I am making plans for the future which I didn't think I had a few months ago, I was convinced my life had come to an end with his and wished that I had died with him.I am still stuggling with your Lakawanna Disorder but I try to push myself so that I don't get mired down.
I am so happy for you are doing well with your son, he will grow up to be a wonderful young man with you to help him.

God Bless you both,
Mavis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here