Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just a question

Posted by heydeborah (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 0:58

well our daughter will be 21 on thursday. so when she turned 20 i gave her one of my 2 carat diamond rings, it was a heirloom and she would have gotten it more later than sooner. for Christmas (or as we now call it Merry Holiday), i gave her a 1 3/4 carat diamond necklace, another heirloom. (i have alot of jewellery, and i do not want you to think of me as a snob, as this was all passed down to me).
Al and i had celebrated our 25th anniv. just months before he passed away, i received a 3 stone diamond ring, i also wear a thin gold wedding band and i had his wide gold wedding ring sized to fit me, so i wear all 3 together. what i'm wondering is if you are widowed do you still wear your rings or do you wear them on your left hand or right or not at all? Also when filling out forms do you still tick off Mrs? and your martitial status are your single or married?

stupid i know but it's kindof bugging me!

deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just a question

although i call him my husband, gary and i never married. we were together for 11 wonderful years. we exchanged rings on our own a few weeks before he died. i still wear mine, on my left ring finger. i think i always will. have no desire for another man in my life, no one could ever fill his shoes.

o

Deb, You will know when it is right for you to either wear the rings on your left hand or not at all. Each person is ready at their own time. People will say, "6 months", "1 year"...trust your instincts.

o

I am planning on wearing my rings on my left hand as i always did. like you we had 25 wonderful years, although for 10 of them Al was bed ridden and i was the main caregiver (never saw the relatives at all, ok maybe half a dozen times, and haven't seen them since his passing). i do not plan on dating or finding a "special friend". i am now still going thru Al's things and catching up on reading, quilting, knitting and just taking some me time. but i still visit him daily and let him know what is going on, boy it's almost 2 1/2 years and i still miss him like it was yesterday!

o

Heydeborah,
My darling husband of 37 years passed away 2 1/2 years ago and I plan on wearing my rings forever,we were together 40 years, I am not interested in meeting anyone else nor do I intend to date, but that is just me. In my heart I am still married and always will be. People who are widowed are free to do whatever their heart tells them.

I check Mrs if the choice is there but on documents for, say, Social Security or anything legal I check either widowed or other, I don't want things in that category to be confused.

o

I switched my diamond wedding band to my right hand, about 3-4 months after DH died. I like the ring, and still wear it, 7 years later.
I will continue to wear it...next DH has no problem with this.

o

Legally, your status is now single.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here