Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My song for Emily:

Posted by tggrsmommy (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 04 at 17:44

I wrote this for Emily before she died. Just thought I'd share.

You Can't Have Her

By Jennifer Mangum

For so many years I waited for her
this beautiful girl you see
I wondered and dreamed how it would be to have her
Now that she's here it seems
she's suffered so much
before she could live
this must all be a bad dream

You can't have her.
I won't give her up without a fight.
You can't have her.
I waited so long for this little girl
to come into my life
You can't have her

For all of this time I've sat beside her
watching her fight for her life
but through it all she seems so happy
surely you realize
how hard it has been
Cause you lost a son
You know how it feels

You can't have her
I won't give her up without a fight
you can't have her
I waited so long for this little girl
to come into my life
! You can't have her.
I did finish this on her website, but it's not there? Oh, well. I'll have to try again later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My song for Emily:

It's beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us!

o

I can only imagine the pain that you have had in having to watch Emily slowly leave you and then lose the battle in the end. I'm so sorry.
They say that our children are only loaned to us and we have to give them back when HE is ready, but it is so hard to have a child so precious and then have to relinquish him/her without a fight after knowing the joy that they bring. The pain is so deep. I can feel your pain through your poem.
Lu

Here is a link that might be useful: Precious Child

o

Where is her website?

I feel for you so much, losing one so young, before she even had a chance to be aware of herself or her suffering...

I often feel very bitter that my brothers died so young (23 and 17), but you make me realize that I should be *so thankful* to have had that many years with them, to get to know them for the young men they were.

Another thought about young death I've had is this... 17 years... or 80 years... or 18 months... compared with eternity, all of these lifespans are pretty short.

Your song is beautiful... writing especially poetry and music is a really good way to express these things... when we die there will be something left, a testament taht we felt this, we endured this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here