SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lulie___wayne

Disposing of Loved Ones' Belongings

lulie___wayne
17 years ago

Going through our deceased loved ones' belongings and disposing of clothing and personal items which we cannot use, can be one of the most difficult tasks to accomplish after a death. I thought that it may be helpful to some who are having a difficult time with it, for us to share what we did.

I know from my personal experience, this has been the hardest thing for me to do. After 8 years, Christin's room has been as it was left. My husband and I haven't needed her room, so I had no reason to get rid of any particular items. I have even kept the trash that she had in her trash can.

When she first left, I gave a few things away to special friends, but not much. We have one son and two grandsons, but we are happily expecting a granddaughter in October.

I now have a reason to make Christin's room into a nursery.

I have slowly been going through Christin's clothes and video taping each item and if it was something significant to a certain event, I will tell about the item. For me, it is a way to continue holding on to the item and the memory, without having the item take up space. I have also done this with my mom's things. I am giving the items to charity when they leave my home. The things which are old and probably not usable anymore, are burned in my backyard. To me, this is also a way to keep them, and to me, it's a respectable way to dispose of them rather than dumping them in the trash. I have a little special ritual with them. I have a very long way to go with Christin's things, but I'm proud of myself that I am finally starting. With some of the very nice pieces of clothing, I am comtemplating bringing them to a consignment shop. Not sure yet.

I plan to make a beautiful nursery and then our little granddaughter will be able to grow older into our Christin's room when she stays with us. That will also be a comfort. I know that would please Christin.

I would love to hear how the rest of you managed this difficult, but necessary task. I also hope that my way may help others.

Lulie

Here is a link that might be useful: Christin Cosby Memorial Web Site

Comments (14)

Sponsored