Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forever friends?

Posted by dcellis (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 08 at 16:02

I've been really lonely lately. My mom and grandmother died a year go on the same day. Since then my good friend of 14+ years and I have not been close. I don't know if it's because she doesn't know what to do/say or what. All I know is that with my BEST friend, my mom, gone, I really need a friend in my life. I've tried to be patient. I've instigated phone calls, invited her to go out, but our relationship is nothing like what it used to be. Also, after my attempts to engage her in things with no success, I'm tired of being the one to call. I wonder if anyone else has had this type of thing happen after losing someone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forever friends?

Have you tried telling your friend how you feel? Maybe she'll have more understanding of your situation if you do. Doesn't sound like you've got anything to lose by trying.

o
RE: forever friends?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Sometimes people can't bear to be around sorrow or loss;
not only do we not know what to say, but we don't want to face the fact that "it could happen to me".

It's not an excuse for her behavior, but it might be an explanation.

Find some company/kindred spirits by doing things that you enjoy & that make you feel good;
take a computer class or an art class or go to some exhibits or help Habitat for Humanity.

Don't strive for a real, deep friendship right now.

Be good to yourself & let yourself use this time to widen your horizons.

Friends often emerge like bulbs in the springtime;
your goal right now is to melt the snow so the ground warms up.

Take *good* care of yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here