SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcrueger_gw

How can I help my Mother get over losing my Father suddenly?

kcrueger
18 years ago

Hi, I am new and hoping someone here can offer me some advise.

Well, January of this year we lost my Dad suddenly. He had a Pulminary Embolism (blood clot to his lung), and died within an hour of waking up feeling fine. It was especially hard for my family since he had been battling Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (Lymph Cancer) for 2 1/2 years. Chemo treatments weren't exactally working the way the Dr's, and all of us hoped, so as a last resort, he was scheduled to get a Stem Cell Transplant in February. I always thought if I lost him, it would be to the Cancer, even though I doubted it would get him. I thought because he was as strong as a horse, he would beat this and everything would be fine. We all knew we didn't want him to suffer and die a slow painful death to cancer seeing him in so much pain as it was, and are thankful he died so quickly so he didn't have to suffer, but have to trade that with being able to say goodbye, which we never would because we didn't for a minute want him to think we were giving up hope.

Well, now it has been 3 1/2 months since his death, and I don't know how to help my Mother get through this. My two other siblings and I all spend time with her, but the hardest part for her is the weekends. I know she has to be SO lonely, and can tell when I call her she is really down. I tell her to come and hang out at my house, spend time with here grandchildren, and so on, but she feels like we have our own family, and doesn't want to intrude. I guess she feels like a 5th wheel. We love having her around and don't want her to feel like that.

I guess in a nutshell, I want to know how to make her stop feeling so lonely. I love her and don't want her to hurt so much. This weekend has been one of the worst I think because it would have been their 39th wedding anniversary. If anyone has any advise, I would welcome it.

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services