Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honoring my father (baby naming)

Posted by StefCo_NJ (dsc500@comcast.net) on
Wed, Apr 28, 04 at 18:58

I am pregnant with my 2nd child, due in October. It will be the 1st grandchild that my father will not know (here on earth, at least). I don't know yet if it's a boy or girl, but I will find out in approximately 6 weeks. I probably shouldn't be worrying about this now, but I am.....
My Dad's name was Alan. If I have a girl, I would like to name her Alana. My mother is crazy in love with this name as well, and we both feel we couldn't choose any better a name in honoring my father. Problem is, my husband doesn't like the name. He's not for it at all.
If it's a boy, we'll pick a name that starts with "A", or just name Alan as the middle name. But that's not my concern. Don't ask me why, but I just have a HUGE feeling this baby is a girl. I know I shouldn't worry about it until I find out, but I'm a bit obsessed at this point (LOL).
Anyway,
Now I'm torn because I really want to give my child the best name to honor my Dad. I don't want to feel this kind of pressure, but I do.
My grandfather (Dad's Dad) passed away on the same day as my dad (same day, same year). Very ironic, I know... but that's another story for another time........ And I've decided I'm most likely NOT going to name for my Grandfather, which will no doubt cause controversy with my Grandmother. UGH!!
What should I do?
I know the baby is mine and my husbands, but I feel I need to please my mom, as well.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honoring my father (baby naming)

I'm thinking, Stef. My first thought was Alice or Allie. I love the name Lainie. I know, I need to think some more.
I will get back.
Lu

o
RE: Another Thought

Aleisha?

o
RE: More Names

More possibilities:
Alexis
Aleah
Ashlan
Aileen
Allain or you could spell it, Allane or Ailane
Angel
Still thinking........
Lu

o

Lu,
Thank you! I love that you're thinking like this! (((YOU)))
You suggested some great names. Keep 'em coming...... :)

o

As I have been lying in bed listening to my DH snore and thinking about what else I could come up with, I thought of an idea. I decided to go ahead and sneak out of the bed to come to tell you. LOL I know that you probably want to keep it looking and sounding like Alan as much as possible, but I thought about maybe you would consider just changing around the letters in Alan and naming her Lana. I love that too. Okay, I'll go back to bed now. LOL
Lu

o
RE:Goofy Me

Okay, I know it is late, BUT. I just realized that Lana is so much like Alana. LOL! Sorry. Thought I had a good idea. Guess the snoring got to me. Now, I've got to go sneak back in bed before he misses me and comes to look for me.
Goodnight.
Lu

o

Lu,
My eyes lit up when I read 'Lana'. I love it. Until you wrote that it's just like 'Alana', I didn't realize it either! I guess we're both off in la-la land!! :)
I'm going to pass it by Dh anyway!

o

I hope he likes it, Stef.

o

Of course I like Alisande. :-)

I wanted to name my first daughter Alison, after my grandmother, but my husband didn't like it. We ended up naming her Suzanne, a variation on my name, and somewhere along the way I came to realize that while bestowing a name in honor of someone else is a very nice thing to do, at some point the name becomes the child's and detaches from the namesake. This is a good thing, really, but it begs the question of how important it should be to name a baby after someone. If it feels good to everyone, that's wonderful. But if it doesn't, honoring can take other forms.

I love the name Alana, too. But I'm glad you're taking your husband's feelings into consideration on this.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

Susan
PS: Did Lu mention Alia? Or Ali?

o

Before I read down as to what your girl's name suggestion could be, I thought like the others, and said Alana. Then I was blown away when you said Alana! What is your husband's first name? When I was still carrying my son that was stillborn, I was going to name him Justin, then when I learned he had died in utero, I just couldn't name him that, and so we named him after his father. But when I had my daughter the following year, I named her Erica Justine. I never gave it a thought, but months later it occured to me that Justine was the femine "version" I guess you'd say, of Justin. I have no other children, but I feel a part of Erica's brother lives on with her. Good luck with your pregnancy, and let us know what you decide. Carrying on a name in some form is a living memorial to those no longer with us.
Emma

o

Might your husband go for "Alannah"? It means "dear child".

o

I know that you feel the need to honor those that have passed on, but it is your child and you should be able to name him/her whatever you want without any pressure from anyone else and without any guilt.

good luck and Bless you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here