SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stefco_nj

Honoring my father (baby naming)

StefCo_NJ
19 years ago

I am pregnant with my 2nd child, due in October. It will be the 1st grandchild that my father will not know (here on earth, at least). I don't know yet if it's a boy or girl, but I will find out in approximately 6 weeks. I probably shouldn't be worrying about this now, but I am.....

My Dad's name was Alan. If I have a girl, I would like to name her Alana. My mother is crazy in love with this name as well, and we both feel we couldn't choose any better a name in honoring my father. Problem is, my husband doesn't like the name. He's not for it at all.

If it's a boy, we'll pick a name that starts with "A", or just name Alan as the middle name. But that's not my concern. Don't ask me why, but I just have a HUGE feeling this baby is a girl. I know I shouldn't worry about it until I find out, but I'm a bit obsessed at this point (LOL).

Anyway,

Now I'm torn because I really want to give my child the best name to honor my Dad. I don't want to feel this kind of pressure, but I do.

My grandfather (Dad's Dad) passed away on the same day as my dad (same day, same year). Very ironic, I know... but that's another story for another time........ And I've decided I'm most likely NOT going to name for my Grandfather, which will no doubt cause controversy with my Grandmother. UGH!!

What should I do?

I know the baby is mine and my husbands, but I feel I need to please my mom, as well.

Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH