Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now I've just lost my mom

Posted by Joanie38 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 12:51

I lost my dad in August, 2004 and now I've lost my mom. She was my best friend. We just buried her last Monday and since 3 of the 5 grown kids live far away, we had to go through her and dad's things. That was an experience in itself. Now I'm home and I'm just so sad. I called her every day. My neighbors brought me some food yesterday and I caught myself wanting to call my mom to tell her how nice my neighbors were. I wasn't "over" my dad, and now I've lost her. I just don't know what I'm going to do. Just wanted all of you to know.
Joanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now I've just lost my mom

I'm so sorry to hear that, Joanie. You've had a lot to deal with all at once. I know well that feeling of wanting to pick up the phone and call. Since that's not possible, how about writing her a letter? It might feel good to do that.

I'm sure your wonderful relationship with your mom was a huge blessing to her, and gave her much happiness.

Susan

o

Joanie, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dad as well as your mom. I lost my mom June of 2004, and I often wonder what it will be like when I lose my dad. I dread it, yet I know that I will most likely have to deal with it.
Susan's suggestion about writing your mom a letter is a good one. I still think about calling my mom sometimes also. That will probably linger for us both for a long time.
You must have been a very good daughter. That is something that you can always be proud of and be grateful for in the years to come.
Blessings!
Lu

o

It's tough when both parents are gone, isn't it? People who have always, always been there..and now they are not. The world just isn't the same any more. But just remember, Joanie, that even though they are gone, you have your love for them still in your heart, and you will always have that.

You have my heartfelt sympathy. Take care.

o

Thank you for all of your words of comfort. I know I was a good daughter and that we had something special. But I also have regrets - that I didn't do more - when she was sick and well. Life will never be the same. I will never be the same. I have changed - I have gone through the depths of grief and am trying to work my way back to ??? Not sure - some sort of peace and normal I guess. I'll miss her always and still need her, even though she's gone.

o

Joanie:

Bless you! Although I have my mother, your thoughtful words make we want to call her right now. Thank you for underscoring the importance of loving people while we have them.

-Cupofkindness

o

Hi Joanie,

I really do know how you feel. I lost both my parents in two days. I was in the middle of treatment for cancer and I really felt like I needed them so badly at that time. My husband, daughter, family and friends were all terrific, but there is just something about your parents that is so special. I still (after 4 years) sometimes think of calling them in an absentminded moment. But believe me, it is gradually growing easier. No matter what....you will always have them in your heart and your memories. Nothing or nobody can take that away from you. Keep strong! My thoughts are with you.

Dee.

o

I can't imagine what you went through Dee. I know I am blessed to have had such wonderful parents. I just felt like I wasn't "over" my dad, and now my mom. What a hole I have in my life. SHE is the one I called to tell what's new with my kids each day. I miss her so much. I spent the weekend feeling sorry for myself, feeling like I have no one else and that no one cares. I must have cried all day yesterday. I just don't know what I'll do. We have moved several times and I have lost contact with close friends so I'm really feeling isolated. I had become so dependent on my mom for her love and support. Now she's gone. I sure hope this gets easier but I don't see how.

o

Joanie, I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your losses. Sounds like you had the same type of relationship with your mom that I had with mine. It will be three months this weekend since my mom passed away. I miss her desperately.. so many things have happened in my life in the last three months that I have needed her for and wanted to share with her. I know exactly how you feel. I think of mom at least a hundred times every day and night - she was the rock that kept me grounded. It is a huge loss. People do care what you are going through they just don't understand how truly deep it goes. I understand because I am living it. Just take each day as it comes, cry when you want/need to. It doesn't really get 'easier' as life goes on, you just fall back into it.

Take care of yourself.
Wendy

o

Hi Joanie,

I hope you're okay today. I have sent you a personal email. I hope that is alright.

Dee.

o

Thanks so much for everyone's words of comfort. And thank you Dee for the personal e-mail. The support here means so much. Today is my birthday, it's bad enough to be (cough, cough) 40, but I realized this morning that last year on my birthday I had both of my parents, and this year I have none. I say that, and it is true, but I know it sounds childish. I really, really miss them both. I wasn't able to mourn hard for my dad because my mom was such a wreck afterwards - until she died. Now I am mourning them both. But I am okay today. Better than I thought I would be. I don't want to spoil what my family wants to do for me by being so sad. And I know my parents wouldn't want me sad. AND I know they are together, and that really brings me comfort. Thank you all for listening. It means so much to have somewhere to go with all of this.

o

Hi Joanie,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I do hope you have a lovely day. Please try to relax and enjoy it....you deserve it!

It is not childish to say that. It is coming from your heart. We are forever our parent's children, no matter what age we are.

Cheers,
Dee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here