Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Writing a condolence card

Posted by popi (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 08 at 4:46

I have bought the card, and mulled over the words to put into it. It is for a lady who lost her husband,he was 79.

I know them quite well, and the husband was such a lovely,kind, funny, thoughtful person. We worked together as volunteers, once a month for many years, so I got to know him quite well.

In the card I want to say something positive..not the "so sad for your loss" words. I want to convey words of hope, something like "I will come around and help you in the garden" sort of thing.

I just can't formulated the words...can you give me some ideas ?

Thanks everyone.

Popi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Writing a condolence card

Popi, you said everything you need to say in your post!

Dear ......,
I have come to know both of you quite well, and wanted to say that I thought your husband (or his name) was such a lovely, kind, funny, thoughtful person. We worked together as volunteers, once a month, for many years, so I got to know him quite well. I treasure the time we spent together!

I would love to spend some time with you, too - please allow me to come and help you in the garden.

Then give her your name and phone number, so she can call you when she's ready to spend time with you.

o

Many thanks, Kayjones, you have helped me clarify my words!

I will put pen to card today.

Thanks again.

Popi

o

Popi, I am sorry you lost your dear friend, but hopefully, his wife will be your new best friend!

o

Thanks Kay

I have sent the card, a recycled paper card, as he was an environmentalist. He used to ride his bike to the shops, along busy roads, because he didnt want to burn fossils fuels. He also got solar panels on his roof, for their hot water needs. Such a wonderful person...I feel quite sad that I won't see him any more, but I guess its worse for his wife and children. He was one of those rare people who showed an interest in others and didn't talk about themselves the whole time. A charming man.

They had the funeral in their back yard because he didn't like funeral directors.

He brings a smile to my face, and always will.

Thanks again Kay, for your interest.

Popi

o

Popi, what a lovely friendship - I know he will live on in your memory forever. That friendship and love is to be desired by EVERYONE!

o

Popi, I'm also sorry for your loss.......the only other thing I would suggest is not to wait for her to call you since people in grief often don't reach out and often don't want to bother others (because in their minds, they think they are).......you might want to give her a month and contact her, she would probably really appreciate that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here