Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When Tomorrow Starts Without Me

Posted by highcenter (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 08 at 17:30

My father passed on March 1, 2008 after a 4 year battle with Cancer. It started 4 years ago with lung cancer which he beat and then 2.5 years later he was diagnosed with brain cancer. They performed brain surgery and removed a tumour the size of an XL egg. He then underwent chemotherapy in the late summer early fall of 2006 followed by radiation treatments in the spring of 2007. The cancer did not go away and in September 2007 he went to Roswell Cancer Center in Buffalo NY for Gamma Knife treatment. THEY BROKE HIM!!! In October of 2007 he lost his ability to walk and quickly went downhill.

A family friend gave us this:

When Tomorrow Starts Without Me
When tomorrow starts without me, and I'm not there to see;
if the sun should rise and fine your eyes filled with tears for me;
I wish so much you wouldn't cry the way you did today,
while thinking of the many things, we didn't get to say.
I know how much you love me, as much as I love you,
and each time that you think of me, I know you'll miss me too;
but when tomorrow starts without me, please try to understand,
that an angel cam and called my name, and took me by the hand,
and said my place was ready, in heaven far above,
and that I'd have to leave behind all those I dearly love.
But as I turned to walk away, a tear fell from my eye,
for all my life, I'd always thought, I didn't want to die,
I had so much to live for, so much yet to do,
it seamed almost impossible that I was leaving you.
I thought of all the yesterdays, the good ones and the bad,
I thought of all the love we shared, and all the fun we had.
If I could relive yesterday, even just for a while,
I'd say goodbye and kiss you and maybe see you smile.
But then I fully realized tat this could never be,
for emptiness and memories would take the place of me.
And when I thought of worldly things, I might miss come tomorrow,
I thought of you, and when I did, my heart was filled with sorrow.
But when I walked through heaven's gates, I felt so much at home.
When God looked down and smiled at me, from His great golden throne,
He said, "This is eternity, and all I've promised you.
today your life on Earth is past, but here it starts anew."
"I promise no tomorrow, today will always last,
and since each day's the same way, there's no longing for the past.
You have been so faithful, so trusting, and so true.
Though there were times you did some things, you knew you shouldn't do.
But you have been forgiven, and now at least you're free.
So won't you take my hand, and share my life with me?"
So when tomorrow starts without me, don't think we're far apart,
for every time you think of me, I'm right here in your heart.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When Tomorrow Starts Without Me

This really hit home for me - I miss my Mom so much - Today is a hard day - It helps so much to read posts from everyone here. My Mom passed in her sleep - unexpectedly -
I am trying to be strong and do positive things in her honor... I believe life is full of lessons for all of us -My Mom's passing openend up my heart and the need to love everyone more. I was always so busy with work and family and I would see her on weekends (My Dad is alive and they had each other) Now she is on my mind 24-7 and I would give anything to call her everyday and talk - (Why didn't I think that way before????).......

o

I know what you mean. I live 10 hours away, although we did talk frequently on the phone. Hospice was such a help to my mother. The following information may also be of assistance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hospice Grief Help

o

Today was 14 weeks since the passing of my father.

I called my mother at "that time" but she did not answer the phone, she was at my brother's house. I am so proud of her. I know it is difficult but she is not staying at home, she is continuing to live...

Her and a friend went to the Relay for Life event in the local community.

It can be hard to do, but continuing on is the way to honor those we have lost.

o

Thank you so much for sharing ! I lost my Dad 2 weeks ago.

o

I haven't lost a relative lately, yet, I am grieving my son who is not hospitalized for his autism. His biggest problem with this disability is being able to communicate, so, even though this isn't due to a death, it also hit home for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autism awareness, resource and our family living with this disability

o

That was a beautiful poem. It it 5 months my mom is gone, I'm still not doing well I miss her more and more each day. i hate to wake up each morning it's the first thing I think of when i do get up and the last thing when i fall a sleep. I will never be the same.

o

I think it is ok, Darzie, to feel that way. We are not ever going to be the same. We must admit to ourselve that they are gone. It darn well hurts. I believe in a "Heaven". They have gone on to that place, I think and hope. It should follow, then, that they are at perfect Peace. Not everyone believes in that. I try to remind myself of it when I am feeling sad about it all. I feel that my Dad would want me to be happy here til we meet again. Just as He was, after his losses of family and friends. He kept his chin up and didn't let us down. I think now that it must have hurt Him a lot too. I recollect how my Dad would take as to the graves of his departed loved ones who I hardly ever got to know because I was young when they departed. He showed us His fondness for them. He regularly brought grave covers to them all (even on my mother's side). We would kneel and say a prayer when we went. He never forgot them and honored their lives by visiting their graves. But, life went on. They were in his memories and thoughts just as He is now in mine. Now, I go to His grave, leave flowers and whisper a prayer. I go often. I can't believe that this most important person in my life is gone.

We loved them all so dearly. Let us all find Peace as we mourn them. I'm sure that is what our loved ones would want.

o

Thank you so much for that beautiful peom, I printed it to keep and to read often, it is just what my DH would want me to know, thank you.

o

September 1st was the 6 month anniversary of my father's death. I went up to spend the time with my mother and the family & visited my father twice while there. It was very emotional but I know that we have to continue to move forward with life. It is just so difficult not having him there to share things directly with. I speak to him often but at his gravesite I could not talk. I don't know when I will be able to.
Thanks for listening!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here