SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

neighbor's son died

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

My next door neighbors' 18 year old son passed away this weekend. He was killed in a car accident five minutes from his home. It was a one-vehicle accident during the early morning hours. Tragic. I do not know these neighbors well (didn't even know their son's name to be honest) Have lived next door to them for four years. I feel horrible that the only interaction I ever had with their son was yelling at him to stop shooting his bb gun at our house when they first moved in.

I can only imagine how heartbreaking it is to lose a child. My ex boyfriend (first love) was killed in a car accident when I was only 17 and he was 20. To this day, I still miss him and this happened 13 years ago. I know it is probably different when you lose your child. But I do know the pain never goes away, it just dulls over time.

I want to reach out to them somehow but am unsure what to do. I have thought about sending a card or flowers (but honestly, they wouldn't know me by name). My fiance thinks he should stop over and talk to them but I feel its a bad idea as they probably just want to be left alone and we've never really talked to them any other time (except when they first moved in, and to tell them their 14 year old son was shooting at our house). We live out in the country and people mostly keep to themselves. I didn't even know it was their son until I read about it in the paper and put two and two together. What should I do? If you've been through a similiar situation what did any of your neighbors do?

Comments (6)

Sponsored