SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randallv

My Beloved Mother Passed Away

randallv
15 years ago

Hello all,

I've been reading this forum since my mother died on Feb.11, 2009. The transparency of shared emotions and heartfelt wishes have been a comfort to me in what has been the most painful time of my life.

My mother, Marilyn Melancon Patureau Vincent, was a New Orleans lady who loved life and never had an unkind word for anyone. I was her baby boy, age 48 now, and she had my sister (51) and my two older brothers (55&56) By the time she was 27 she was a single mother of 4.

She raised us alone and worked as a photographer for over 40 yrs. She was well-read, artistic, and had a flair for making any occasion special. She loved intensely and laughed often. She always viewed life as a glorious struggle in which the greatest thing we have is faith and hope.

She wrote poems and kept journals, which are now among my family's most prized possessions. She loved nature and all of it's splendor. She loved dogs, cats, and spent summers on her grandfather's farm as a child. She was a sports fan,

but also loved broadway musicals. She was a Patriot whose 3 sons proudly served in the military. She loved America with all it's problems and always felt grateful for being born here. She loved Mardi Gras, and Mardi Gras photography was a big part of her business life along with weddings, etc.

She was empathetic, sympathetic, and always remembered important dates like birthdays and anniversaries. She was totally honest and had great integrity.

My mother smoked for over 55 yrs. and developed advanced COPD and an aortic aneurysm. She had all of the usual oxygen tanks, breathing machines and medicines. As sick as she was, she still maintained her independence right to the end. She died at home (rupture of aneurysm ) at her dining table while giving herself a breathing treatment. One of her grandsons who had been staying with her (he's a fireman) found her approximately an hour after she died. I believe God spared her intense pain or suffering and that it all happened very quickly.

She always said she didn't want to die in a hospital or on an operating table. God was good in granting her that. Most of the immediate family including her two sisters and most of her grandchildren were able to converge on her house before we let them take her to the funeral home. We all got to hug & kiss her and whisper sweet nothings in her ear as we said our goodbyes

She was the matriarch of our family and the void and pain we feel is almost unbearable. To know her was to love her. My tears are flowing right now as I write this. I want to honor her memory by loving life more even though it seems like life has lost so much sweetness for me.

She left 2 loving sisters, 4 children, 7 grandchildren, and 3 great-grandchildren. She left many more who will love and miss her more than words can express.

She was my first love and my best friend. She was my Mom....

In loving memory,

Marilyn Melancon Patureau Vincent

(Aug 9,1934- Feb 11, 2009 ) Age 74

Always Your Loving Son,

Randall

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz