SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sudiepav

The loss of our son and granddaughter

sudiepav
19 years ago

I found this site quite by accident and have enjoyed so many of the gardening and home site forums. After lurking at this one for a long time, I decided I had to post. 21 months ago today, a terrible accident took the lives of our oldest boy and our granddaughter. Dave was 36 and Millie was 6. I spent the first few months in a blur, and now the depth and breadth of our grief is enormous. We function pretty well day to day, but periods of incredible sadness overwhelm us. So many things remind us of them and too many are sad and not comforting. Our daughter-in-law did everything she could to exclude us from their lives, but we did manage to have Millie visit every summer for a couple of weeks. I am so sad for all the birthdays and Christmases we missed. Our daughter-in-law remarried 3 months ago. I'm happy she is getting on with her life, but our hearts still feel so broken. The 2 things in my life that I'm grateful for are first, my husband. We have helped each other so very much, and I know that my life wouldn't be nearly as together as it is without his support and mine for him. And to think, we took each other so for granted before all this. Our other blessing is our 2nd granddaughter, born to our second son just 2 weeks before Dave and Millie died. Sarah and her parents live close by and we see her all the time...we are so very grateful. We also have a third boy who lives out of town. It was at his wedding in December of 2002 that we last saw and spent time with Dave and Millie, and of course Dave's wife, Melissa. I am so thankful for that happy time. Losing a child has got to be the worst agony a parent can bear. Losing a grandchild at the same time seems almost more than we could take. We're managing though, and trying so hard to be happy for our blessings. It is very, very difficult.

Comments (3)

Sponsored