SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
confused68

Awkward Situation...Need Advice.

confused68
15 years ago

I hesitate to post this but I am sincere and this was the only place I knew to come and get the truth. Yesterday I was at my new house I am building and I hadn't seen one of the workers for a couple weeks. I knew his wife had recently had heart problems and had asked him how she was a couple times. Well you can guess the rest. She had passed away two weeks ago and NO ONE had told me. So I basically made this guy say it. It was probably the first time he had actually had to say it. Needless to say I felt AWEFUL!!! I am still just sick and can't seem to shake it. I can't help but think it was made worse though by the fact that everybody started trying to wave me off and making shhhh gestures and generally acting weird about it. He had to have noticed that. Some other guys kinda grabbed me and pulled me away and so I didn't get the chance to continue the conversation in a normal fashion. If given the chance I would have said, "I am so sorry for your loss. I had no idea. I will be praying for you and if there is ANYTHING I can do for you just let me know." I feel like that would have been far less awkward. As it was...he just worked for about ten more minutes and then went to his truck and left. As I said...I feel TERRIBLE. It has made me scared to ever bring up a sick person and show concern again because...well... sick people often die! I wanted to come on this forum where there are people dealing with this personally and try and find out if I did anything wrong. I feel like I should apologize to the guy but I don't know if that would only make it worse. I have never had to deal with death that close to me, but my gut feeling is if I lost a spouse or a child, I would want everyone to feel like laughing around me still but at the same time not be weird and treat me with kit gloves and whisper behind my back. I THINK I would want everyone to not be afraid to talk about my deceased loved one around me and just cry with me if I needed them to. I don't think I would want everyone to just act like nothing had happened. I don't know...I can't say. I just feel really bad about what I did and need some advice about how to go forward with this guy.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County