Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't know if this belongs here...

Posted by chocoholic (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 6:21

Please forgive me if this posting doesn't belong in this forum. I posted a message a long time ago and received tremendous support so I thought I'd return...

Long story short, I've been having these facial spasms and my doctor sent me to have a brain MRI done and scheduled me for a visit with a neurosurgeon. MRI was this past Friday and I picked up the film (and report) today. Appointment with neurosurgeon is this coming Friday. I read the report... and the radiologist found a couple of things. I expected something having to do with facial nerves, not something with my brain itself.

I have friends who have had radiological reports mis-read, especially in our rural community. Their neurologist/neurosurgeon(s) ended up revising parts of the reports once they got to the main city.

Today is my DH's birthday so I told him I wasn't going to read the report today or tomorrow (niece's birthday) and would read it on Wednesday. I don't want it "tied" to an annual event just in case things don't have a positive outcome. Perhaps I shouldn't have even told him I picked up the report today.

I'm trying so hard not to lose it right now. Thanks for listening. I don't know when I'll be able to return so please forgive me if I don't immediately respond to posts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't know if this belongs here...

Bless you, my dear, and I hope that things turn out better than what you've initially found on the report. You're in my prayers.

o

Thank you very much, sudiepav.

o

You will be in my prayers tonight... You hang in there and hold your head up high. ac

o

Sending you good thoughts, hoping that if anything it is minor, and you will be able to get on with your life.

Check the link below. I suffer from chronic back pain, a friend of mine who suffers from headaches gave me the link. Perhaps someone there can hook you up with advice / support.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brain talk

o

Thank you very much for the link. I took a quick peek at it and it looks like a good fit. Thanks so much for telling me about it.

And, thanks to all for the good wishes and prayers.

o

More prayers coming your way. Your strength shines through in your writing.

Susan

o

Thank you everyone for your prayers and good wishes. The neurosurgeon said I didn't have MS, that I'm a little old because it should have been evident in my 20's. Of course he added, "Not that you're old..." (I've already had my mid-life crisis, over a decade ago!) I can laugh about this now but for those few days, it was pure agony. Thank you all for being there for me. I don't know what I would have done without you all.

On the other hand, the "cure" for the facial spasms is surgery and he mentioned a 60 - 70% success rate. I'm looking at this as another one of my life's hurdles...

Again, thank you all very much for your support and compassion. It truly means a lot to me.

Keeping all of you in my prayers...

o

I would ALWAYS have the reports re-read or get a second opinion. Last April I was scheduled to have my thyroid removed - which means being on meds the rest of my life. Then I got a second opinion and the film had been completely mis-read. There was no cancerous node at all.
How bad are your facial spasms? Will they stay the same or get worse? Have you had a second opinion on the surgeon?

o

My spasms can be pretty intense; strong enough that it'll involuntary close my left eye. It's the whole left side of my face. I can opt not to have surgery but in general, the symptons will, more than likely, continue to progress. There is also the possibility of permanent nerve damage.

Because the "cure" involves brain surgery, I'm currently seeking a second opinion. I'm researching several centers scattered throughout the US specializing in treatment for this condition. I also have calls out to friends in the health profession.

I'm finding that the "cure" rate may in actuality be higher than what the surgeon indicated. So, I continue my research...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here