Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Glenn is at peace now

Posted by EJP773 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 05 at 6:20

I just wanted you to know that my beautiful son passed away at home yesterday morning after a courageous battle with cancer. He died with his beautiful wife cuddled in the bed with him and he was holding my hand and looking straight at me as he slipped away. We three had shared so much in the last week that it seemed perfect for us to be together. The strange thing was that Glenn loved thunderstorms and would stand outside to watch the lightning. Yesterday we had a thunderstorm just as he left to the sound of a big clap of thunder - it seemed very appropriate for my big boy.
Today I am spending time on my own. I am heartbroken but numb to an extent but so incredibly proud of both of my boys. Brendan and three of Glenn's friends put their arms around Glenn and helped him walk while he could, pushed the wheelchair when needed and carried and lifted him in the last days. It was bittersweet to watch but I know they all gained from the love and respect they showed to Glenn. Glenn's funeral will be on Wednesday and we have planned a very Glenn funeral so it is a case of getting through the next few days and honouring him with a perfect send-off.
So now I will travel the hard road many of you have travelled.
Elspeth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Glenn is at peace now

Elspeth - our thoughts are with you and your family.

((((hugs))))

o

Elspeth, what a beautiful picture you painted of Glenn's last moments. My heart goes out to you and the rest of the family.

o

so sorry for your loss, you have my condolences, and the thunder sounded so appropriate!saying a prayer for you and Glenn's wife and friends. DianePA

o

Elspeth, I'm so sorry about Glenn. I'm so glad you were with him. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I'll email you later.

o

Elspeth, thank you for letting us know. Your son had a peaceful, meaningful end to his life. I'm so sorry for this very difficult loss and hope Wednesday is everything you want it to be. I'm thinking of you.

Susan

o

Elspeth, I'm also glad that you let us know. I'm so sorry for the road that you will have to travel with us. Remember that you are not alone.
Glenn's last moments really were beautiful. How wonderful to leave this earth with people around you who love you so very much. The thunderstorm was a gift from God letting you know that Glenn was home again where he belongs for all eternity. You will meet him later.
Please stay with us. My sincere thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Lu

o

Elspeth I have been following your posts and wanted to tell you how happy I am that you had such a wonderful son. God Bless You.

o

((Elspeth)) I bet you were a wonderful mom to a wonderful son!

o

just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you on this difficult day.

hugs - Michelle

o

Thank you all for your expressions of sympathy. Glenn's funeral was yesterday and today I am having a quiet day, doing nothing in particular. The overwhelming feeling I had yesterday was tremendous pride in both of my sons. Glenn fought to the last without feeling sorry for himself. As far as I know, the only thing he said a few days before to Heidi was that he wanted his old life back. Brendan and Glenn's good mates carried him into the crematorium yesterday and then Brendan stood up and gave a lovely, heartfelt talk about his big brother and the things they had done together over the last few weeks. When he faltered a couple of times, I noticed him reach his left hand across to his right shoulder, pat his shoulder and then go on. He said that Glenn was right there at his shoulder. He has grown so much from all this - we all have. I wrote the eulogy for Glenn which we asked the celebrant to read from all of us. I am so glad I was able to do that for him.
I haven't been able to cry for Glenn yet, partly because I know that he is safe from harm now. I just feel incredibly tired. Heidi's family are taking care of her and the children and they are getting through it the best they can.Both families will support each other and watch out for them. Elspeth

o

Elspeth I hope you are having a 'good' day today, someone in Ohio is thinking about you! Hope you are remembering to take good care of yourself and getting some rest.

o

elspeth, i am so very sorry. i am so glad you and his wife were with him to the final moment. my heart goes out to you and i am sending my prayers to you and your daughter in law for strength.

deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here