Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Son's Wedding

Posted by dian57 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 05 at 6:08

My son Brian was killed in a car accident in October of 2000. Time, the love and support of family and friends and this forum have all helped tremendously with my journey of grief and healing.

My older son got engaged last January and is getting married May 20. I have been struggling with my emotions. Despite the excitement and happiness for Danny, my thoughts and heart ache for Brian, who should be best man.

I will be dancing to I Hope You Dance by LeeAnn Womack with Danny and can't imagine how I'm going to get through it with even a shred of dignity.

Has anyone else been in this situation and offer suggestions on how to handle it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Son's Wedding

leave off the mascara, and cry, darling...

there won't be anyone there who doesn't feel the same way.

o

Chinacat's right, Diane. No one will expect dignity. But if it will help to have a less emotional song, maybe that's an idea for you.

My advice is to just make sure Danny knows how happy you are for him. Assure him that some of your tears are from joy, not just sorrow.

Susan

o

Brian will be there for sure! I know that without a doubt. He will be happy for Danny and want you to focus on Danny's special day and to know that he is with all of you in spirit.
When a good friend of mine's son got married recently, she had the same feelings as you do. Her other son was murdered and she didn't know how in the world she would get through the wedding, reception etc.
Her son and his bride had candles on the alter with pictures of her son and his father who was also deceased. When my friend and her son were lighting her son's candle, a HUGE thunder bolt rattled the entire church. It happened the second that the fire hit the candle wick. EVERYONE in the church knew that it was Cory letting them know that he was present.
I agree with Susan as far as making sure that Danny knows how very happy that you are for him and his bride. Good luck!
Lu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here