SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drcindy1

slightly OT- whether or not to attend a funeral

drcindy
12 years ago

My husband has an aunt who is in very ill health with kidney failure. She is currently hospitalized and it's anybody's guess what her actual prognosis is, but it doesn't look good. We personally cannot stand this woman (and most other family members don't like her either) because she is rude, obnoxious, and just plain evil. Mostly due to these reasons, DH had initially told his parents (aunt is married to his Dad's brother) that if the aunt dies, he probably wouldn't attend the funeral. Plus, we live in WA and they're in CA; hubby does not get bereavement time because the aunt wouldn't be considered immediate family. DH is now reconsidering this, saying he really should be thinking of showing respect to the family. While I do agree with this in principle, I told him I would support him going when the time comes, but that I did not want to go, although I'm very close to his parents (but not at all to the uncle).

To complicate matters, I'm dealing with my own grieving. I just had to enroll my Mom in hospice because she has end stage liver disease and is only 65 lbs. now. She lives in the same town as the in-laws, and I've been flying to CA more often because of her illness. I was there over Christmas, a week ago, and plan to go again the end of March to celebrate her 75th birthday, if she even makes it that long. This of course, is much more important to me than feeling obligated to attend a possible near funeral of someone I personally can't stand.

Is this petty of me? What would you all do?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio