SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Still Missing Dad, Struggling with Mom, and Now ...

suzieque
19 years ago

Hi - My father died in September, 04. Since then, my only sibling, my brother, and I have clashed a bit. Not too ugly, just hurt feelings and resentment (he has an admittedly low opinion of women - big ego for him). With the things we've clashed about, neither of us is right and neither is wrong, completely. But here's the scoop: he's the executor of the will, which is fine, but he lives far away and really has, to my knowledge, done little. I cancelled the credit cards, notified life insurance agencies, etc. My mother is still living and usually lucid.

Today, while helping my mother go through her tax documents, she showed me some forms that arrived in the mail for her. It states that they were sent to her at my brother's request. They are from an agency informing my mother of my father's will going to probate and asking her to sign forms. In the "Survivor and Heirs" section, my mother and my brother are listed - - I'm not.

Questions - why would probate be initiated? My mother is alive and well. My father had a will. My mother is listed as his beneficiary on everything and then my brother and me 50/50 after that. So why probate?

Also, and my biggest "kick-in-the-gut" emotion - is it possible that my brother is trying to eliminate me from the will? First of all, there's not much to divvy up, and that certainly won't be done while my mother is alive. But it's the emotional slap that is bothering me. Of course, it could very well be a simple mistake. I hope so, and am going to contact the company tomorrow (Monday).

In the meantime, how can I/how should I protect myself? My father and I were extremely close and I know that I had something far more important than anything material. And I hate to think that my brother might be doing this intentionally (I'm his kids' Godmother - we WERE pretty close).

I miss my Dad so much and know that he'd hate this. What do you recommend? If I find out that omitting me on the list of survivors/heirs was intentional, what type of attorney should I find?

I hate this so much. Many thanks in advance - - Suzieque

Comments (6)

Sponsored