SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs77_gw

The Wind Beneath my Wings...

babs77
16 years ago

My Dad was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Luekemia in September Â06 and fought a hard battle. After traditional treatments did not help, he went into an experimental program in which he knew his odds were very, very low but he said he did it in the hopes that someday it would help others. I am so very proud of him. This experimental program turned out to be a nightmare for him. I wonÂt go into the details, but suffice it say it was a horrific experience. But we eventually got him stronger and back home where he wanted to be.

When I was a young single Mom I contracted Shingles. I had reservations for a plane trip home the next week. Called my parents to tell them; they were worried about me getting on a plane sick, with a newborn. We were having a 3-way conversation when my Mom said "Let me and your Father get off the phone for a few minutes and talk about this and weÂll call you back." An hour later I was still waiting, so I called back and Mom answered the phone and said "HeÂs left." "Left for where?" "To come get you." Silence "Mom, he DOES realize this isnÂt like going around the corner to bring the newspaper to Grandmas house right?" My parents lived in NJ and I lived in Boulder, CO at the time! 1,800 miles away and it was after 11pm when he left! She said "We got off the phone, he looked at me and said, start making me some sandwiches while I pack." Mom said she knew better than to try to talk him out of it when she saw the look on his face. She said he was out the door in under 10 minutes.

My Dad was 75 and had stayed friends with people he knew since he was a small child. The friendships have endured all these years. I was great to see them all turn out in tribute to a great man. His funeral was amazing. The place was packed! He was dearly loved by so, so many peopleÂ

I got married a few years after the NJ/CO trip. At my wedding, my Father/Daughter dance was "Wind Beneath my Wings." I had it printed off and framed nicely for an X-Mas present for him the following year. My Mom said when he opened it he just sat there quietly looking at it.

Yes, my Dad is my hero. Ever since that night he got in the car and drove 1,800 to rescue my and my newborn son heÂs been "the wind beneath my wings".

Sorry for the long post. But it felt good to "talk" about him. I miss him so very, very much.

Did you ever know that youÂre my hero,

and everything I wish I could be?

I can fly higher than an eagle,

Âcause you are the Wind Beneath My WingsÂ

Here is a link that might be useful: Wing Beneath My Wings

Comments (6)

Sponsored