Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A 'Happy' New Year.... Leaving the Old Behind

Posted by lulie___wayne (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 1, 07 at 19:18

I hestitate to use the word "happy", but I would like to wish all of you a new year filled with peace and hope for a better year. I've gotten a little behind responding to many of the posts, but I've been trying to catch up. Since my DH and I are retired now, we are gone a lot and I tend to get behind. You'd think that I'd have more time, but my days are usually filled.
When I was freshly (first few years) grieving, I always hated to leave the old year behind and begin a new one. I felt as if as more time passed, I was going further from my loved one or where my loved one was. Has anyone else felt the same?
Lu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A 'Happy' New Year.... Leaving the Old Behind

I, too, wish everyone peace and hope for 2007. I am starting to be able to give up the years. I know the when the first January came after our loss, I felt so sad thinking that "last year my boy was alive". And you're right, each year brings more distance; somethimes that's good, and sometimes it's sad. For instance, yesterday was the 4th anniversary of the last time we saw our son and granddaughter, although we talked to them on the phone many times after that. It makes me sad to think that 4 years have passed, but I find as time goes on, things get better and we learn to cope in a stronger fashion.

o

The first year, I was so glad to see 2001 go. I'd hated writing it on my checks, typing it on my letters, just seeing it in print. But at the same time I reacted badly when the seasons changed. In the past I'd loved the four seasons, especially spring and fall. Once I began to grieve, the changing seasons just emphasized my pain somehow. I'm almost over that, but I don't know if it will ever disappear completely.

Susan

o

I was stuck in 1998. Christin left in that year and it's like time stopped for me. It seemed that even a year or two after 98 had passed, I would still sometimes write "1998" on checks etc.
Lu

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here