Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Signs of life after death

Posted by alicexray (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 11:11

The post you are now reading has nothing to do with finding pennies. As a matter of fact it goes well beyond the strange or unexplained events that happen after a loved one passes away. My mother-in-law prior to her passing at the age of 93 lived with us for over three years. During those years I got to know here better than I did in all my 40 years of marriage. Kay as we called her was a most gentle soul. Her kind nature and generosity was abundant in all she did. Never once did I hear a utter a bad word about anyone nor did she complain about life as most of us do. Kay was a true Roman Catholic in every sense of the word. She deeply loved church and would rather read the church bulletin than the news paper. She also had a deep appreciation and affection for the little things she had in this life. She was truly a "good" person.
Kay was very aware of her surroundings, in particular was her sense of smell. No matter what was being prepared, be it coffee in the morning or the dinner meal she would repeatedly say. "Oh does that smell good". More often than not I would tell her that I can't smell a thing as I have no sense of smell. In other words if you were to put perfume or any pungent aroma in front of my nose, I couldn't tell the difference because it wasn't there. Kay was fascinated with this fact and again would say. "You mean you can't smell a thing"? She would sometimes laugh in a cute way and shake her head in disbelief.
On September 9, 2009 Kay passed peacefully without pain and suffering. During her last month she was under care of hospice service. The day after she passed the hospice service delivered a small fruit basket to our home and offered their condolences. I thanked them for all they did in making Kay comfortable and went inside with the basket that was beautifully arranged and wrapped in heavy cellophane. I put the basket on the dining room table , called to my wife to tell her of the delivery and immediately went about my business in another room.
All of a sudden I found myself surrounded by the most beautiful smell of fruit. What I experienced was unlike anything I ever had before in my life. I would like to say that it was as if walking into the produce department at the store, but it was much more than that. I could actual smell each individual piece of fruit and at the same time I could smell the entire basket combined. I would best describe this aroma as like nothing nothing you can imagine. The aroma was comforting but yet it was as if it would not leave me alone. No matter which room of the house I was in, there too was the smell of fruit.
I immediately told my wife about what was happening but she couldn't smell a thing. After several days of me constantly telling her about the fruit smell, she put her nose to the basket which had not been opened yet . "I can't smell a thing" she said.
By this time I was getting on my wife's nerves as I must have mentioned the smell a hundred times or more. I though maybe my sense of smell had come back to me, but no such luck. I tried to smell other things, nothing but the fruit was in my nose. Along about this time we began to think that what I was experiencing was a sigh from Kay letting us know that she was all right. My wife wondered why "she" didn't receive a sign from her mother. We began to figure this out and came to the conclusion that Kay was talking directly to me in the only possible way that would get our attention.
The aroma stayed in my home and with me for seven days almost as if to say. "On the seventh day God rested." After that time had passed, the smell had completely gone, buy the memory is one that will stay with me the rest of my life. It left us both with the belief that "yes' there is life beyond this one. There truly is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Signs of life after death

what a beautiful tribute to a wonderful lady and what a special memory for you to have!

often, for several weeks after my husband passed away after a 2 year battle with cancer, i would get a whiff of his stetson cologne. it always happened during low moments when i didn't think i could go on without him. it was as if he was telling me, "babe, i'll always be watching over you."

it's been a long while since i have noticed that smell but i have had lots of other signs, some subtle, some not so subtle so i know he's still here. :)

o

That is an amazing happening, she must have really loved you and trusted you with her message. She was a wonderful person and I am sure that she is being rewarded in heaven. I am sorry for your loss.
PS. My Dad and one of his sisters had no sense of smell and my oldest daughter has very little. Dad would ask me to smell anything he thought might not be very fresh.

o

My dad passed away four years ago. There have been several times when I could ask a question and then I imagined what his answer would have been and I could remember the sound of his voice. It was almost like he was there-but not quite.
A couple weeks ago I dreamed that I was in line at the bank and I heard Daddy's voice behind me saying, "You think this line is going to take much longer?"
I turned around and there he was. I put my arms around him and lay my head on his chest and said, "Oh Daddy, I've missed you so much."
He said, "I've missed you too, Sis." I could feel the warmth of his body and the shape of his chest under my cheek.
Then he asked me, "You takin' care of your Momma?"
And I said, "Yeah, Daddy."
Then he patted me on the shoulder and said, "That's good."
I turned my head away for a moment and when I looked back Daddy was gone.
I awoke at that moment, wide awake and sat up.

When Daddy died he had been suffering from cancer for over four years and his body had shrunk quite a bit. He hadn't been taller than me for many years due to his advanced age. But in the "dream" he was taller than me by a head, more like he was when he had been about 45 or 50. When I put my arms around him his body felt strong and solid, not weakened, the way it did just before he died.

I am certain that he was there and talking to me. If there is life after death, I have hopes for some things for my dad. I hope that he has seen his mother who died when he was only 6 years old. He missed her deeply all his life. I hope that he finds his little dog, 'Dodo' that died from drinking poisoned water. He always loved dogs and often mentioned how sweet his little Dodo had been. And I hope that he will know peace and joy for all eternity, he deserves it.

o

A wonderful experience, well told. Your kind and generous mother-in-law clearly cares for you and gave you a final gift, in more ways than one.

I wouldn't say it's far removed from finding special pennies in significant places . . . all these things are interrelated, and provide reassurance and comfort.

o

I received a nature sign from my Maternal Grandmother when she died. On April 10th the day we laid her to rest, I came home to a beautiful single Sunflower that had not been there before ,it was right close to a tree by my drive way and caught my eye as soon as I drove in. It was the most brilliant sunflower that I had ever seen before. I got out of the car and ran over to it stooped down and said well Hello Granny's Flower. It was of such comfort to me. Every day I would get up go outside and say Hi to Granny's Flower. One day while staying with my mother to comfort her overnight exactly 7 later days approx midnight, I said to my mother. Lets us run over to my house and check on my cat and you can see Granny's Flower. Hoping to comfort her at this time. Well, to my gasping surprise as I pulled into the driveway with my headlights shining expecting to see My Granny's Flower. IT WAS GONE!!! Just as it came from nowhere, now it was gone. Root and all. My first reaction was one of "What", what happened it cannot be gone, then only to suddenly realize that it was time for her to go and spread all of the love and sunshine that she had always shown me and others. I have no dought that this was her way of letting me know that she would always be with me and that she was with Jesus. I cannot describe that Peace that came to me with that Sunflower sign. My Mother passed two years later and she and my mother appeared again to me as 2 small sunflowers on the same steam. Again they appeared overnight. I will always know that anytime I see a sudden sunflower that they are letting me know all is well with their souls, and to take comfort in my Faith as a Christian that we will see each other again.

o

good eve and good wishes to one and all. i was so happy read all the special stories of their loved ones who have passed to spirt, they are in a much loved place and all their troubles are free,i just wanted to share my story.

a very special man call len passed on to spirt a few years ago, his mun had passed the year before, he was so upset at her passing the folling year len left me around the same time his mum did.
my world was crused it was a beautiful sun shine morn as i walked out yhe door,too most beautiful brown and orange butterfly danced in a spin so close together and in the same tune it was so special to see, i know that was them happy together, let me know that was 5 years ago, i have nere seen them again, but i was so happy in that moment

god rest them and everyone untill we meet again.

o

My mother passed away a year ago and my sister and I had been looking over antiques in an antique store. We both remarked that we were doing something so routine and ordinary in the midst of our grief and starting feeling a bit guilty about the excursion. There, on an antique table was a scrabble game set up that spelled out, in crossword form, MOMS LOVE. We were both alleviated of our negative feelings about shopping that day.
At Christmas, my sister was spending the day with her son and grandchildren when the dishwasher suddenly quit and an error message began flashing on the electronic screen. Over and over it said, HO HO HO. She didn't know what the error message meant, but she clearly accepted this as a sign that Mom was enjoying Christmas, too.

o

My mom passed suddenly July 31, 2009. That year of course was full of "the firsts", the first holiday, the first birthday....all without mom. Her birthday is October 22, and mid October I was sad thinking that this would be the first time we would not be making pork and sauerkraut or stuffed porkchops, two of her favorite meals. Tears were falling as I stood at the sink washing dishes, watching the snow falling in an early snowfall. Suddenly my eye was drawn to the rosebush at the end of the patio, there was a beautiful rose in full bloom. I knew then that mom was celebrating her first birthday with God that year.

o

My son died suddenly almost 7 weeks ago and I have been trying to find peace with it. I have asked him to come to me in a way that only he would. My husband has been waking up every morning about 2am. That's the time my son usually went to bed. My son had an endoscope done in April and I finally got the results but was so busy I read them and put them down, not processing what they said. I started getting a nagging feeling telling me, insisting that I find those papers and re-read them. I was up until 2am the other night looking everywhere I would have put them. My life is in upheaval since his death so things are not where they normally would be. I found the papers and carefully read the results. He had Barrett's esophagus, again, for the second time. After having surgery to prevent acid from splashing up into his esophagus he was eventually facing the possibility of having cancer of the esophagus. I got comfort from reading that. Knowing that he will no longer be facing a cancer where his only survival for a time might be the removal of his esophagus after chemo and all the other treatments that are so horrendous to kill cancer. I think it was him who kept insisting that I find those papers. I have been able to cope a bit better knowing this. And that's what I asked for.

o

I am reading Heaven is for Real, I've read it once, this is the second time around for me. I encourage everyone who is grieving and feeling the need to know if their loved one is safe and sound to read it. This is the Amazon synopsis:

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

"Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle."
It had a life changing effect on me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here