SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alicexray

Signs of life after death

alicexray
14 years ago

The post you are now reading has nothing to do with finding pennies. As a matter of fact it goes well beyond the strange or unexplained events that happen after a loved one passes away. My mother-in-law prior to her passing at the age of 93 lived with us for over three years. During those years I got to know here better than I did in all my 40 years of marriage. Kay as we called her was a most gentle soul. Her kind nature and generosity was abundant in all she did. Never once did I hear a utter a bad word about anyone nor did she complain about life as most of us do. Kay was a true Roman Catholic in every sense of the word. She deeply loved church and would rather read the church bulletin than the news paper. She also had a deep appreciation and affection for the little things she had in this life. She was truly a "good" person.

Kay was very aware of her surroundings, in particular was her sense of smell. No matter what was being prepared, be it coffee in the morning or the dinner meal she would repeatedly say. "Oh does that smell good". More often than not I would tell her that I can't smell a thing as I have no sense of smell. In other words if you were to put perfume or any pungent aroma in front of my nose, I couldn't tell the difference because it wasn't there. Kay was fascinated with this fact and again would say. "You mean you can't smell a thing"? She would sometimes laugh in a cute way and shake her head in disbelief.

On September 9, 2009 Kay passed peacefully without pain and suffering. During her last month she was under care of hospice service. The day after she passed the hospice service delivered a small fruit basket to our home and offered their condolences. I thanked them for all they did in making Kay comfortable and went inside with the basket that was beautifully arranged and wrapped in heavy cellophane. I put the basket on the dining room table , called to my wife to tell her of the delivery and immediately went about my business in another room.

All of a sudden I found myself surrounded by the most beautiful smell of fruit. What I experienced was unlike anything I ever had before in my life. I would like to say that it was as if walking into the produce department at the store, but it was much more than that. I could actual smell each individual piece of fruit and at the same time I could smell the entire basket combined. I would best describe this aroma as like nothing nothing you can imagine. The aroma was comforting but yet it was as if it would not leave me alone. No matter which room of the house I was in, there too was the smell of fruit.

I immediately told my wife about what was happening but she couldn't smell a thing. After several days of me constantly telling her about the fruit smell, she put her nose to the basket which had not been opened yet . "I can't smell a thing" she said.

By this time I was getting on my wife's nerves as I must have mentioned the smell a hundred times or more. I though maybe my sense of smell had come back to me, but no such luck. I tried to smell other things, nothing but the fruit was in my nose. Along about this time we began to think that what I was experiencing was a sigh from Kay letting us know that she was all right. My wife wondered why "she" didn't receive a sign from her mother. We began to figure this out and came to the conclusion that Kay was talking directly to me in the only possible way that would get our attention.

The aroma stayed in my home and with me for seven days almost as if to say. "On the seventh day God rested." After that time had passed, the smell had completely gone, buy the memory is one that will stay with me the rest of my life. It left us both with the belief that "yes' there is life beyond this one. There truly is.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz