SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Subtle signs

alisande
16 years ago

Some of the signs we've reported on this forum have been pretty dramatic and unmistakable. But there are others that are more subtle, the ones I always say we must be "open to." Some might argue that these events are "open to" interpretation, and we are stretching the truth to interpret them as signs. Still, some things just feel right, and I think that kind of inner certainty counts for a lot.

Here's one of my most subtle signs. It feels right to me.

I've been wanting to move my bedroom computer into my daughter Gillian's room and set up the big scanner I bought ages ago without a place to put it. (I bought it to work on my father's photographs, slides, and negatives, and it's still in the box.)

My son suggested the other day that we take Jill's bed out of her room. I didn't want to do that, even though he pointed out that evidence of mice have been found on it (bird seed shells) and we don't need it as a guest bed because we have a guest room. He also made the good point that the bed takes up room that we could use for computer work. But I really hated the thought of removing her bed, and I felt a little overwhelmed at the idea of finding a suitable desk plus something to hold the scanner.

So I happened to stop in at my favorite architectural salvage place on Sunday (mostly to scrounge quarters because the change machine at the laundromat was broken) when I saw the perfect workspace: 93" of desk! It consists of a five-foot desk with pull-out keyboard tray (which I've always wanted) and nice drawers, including file drawers, on rollers, plus a 33" end piece with shelves underneath to hold the CPU and whatever. (And my scanner on top!)

I asked for their best price, and the guy took 25% off the already-reasonable price. I mulled it over at home for about 8 seconds and then committed to buy it. I went back and paid for it yesterday. Now all I have to do is get it home. That's the hard part.

I can't help thinking that Jill put me and the desk together. I'm excited about it, and feel much better about moving her bed. I hope I still feel that way when the time comes to move it.

Susan

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21