SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leibrook

I don't know where to post this, but need your help

leibrook
16 years ago

I just don't know where to turn to help my sister...she is the one grieving, but there's even more. She is 77, moved here with her husband 2-1/2 yrs ago after leaving her homeland....New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina. She and her 82 yr old husband lost their home and all material possessions. They were married 61 years...They headed in our direction with their son and wife. They stayed with us for a couple few months. In short, I am a caretaker and took on helping them with every need, lodging, comfort, support, medical, insurance, FEMA, apt hunnting, social security, and whatever it takes, etc. I don't regret one bit of it. It got worse. After many tributions, falls, broken hip, wrist, rehab, my BIL died in 2007, after the return of a vengeful skin cancer. It has been a sad situation. My sister now lives alone in a one bed room apt, about 10 miles from us, has had medical issues, but tests come out negative...probably stress related. Her son has his own health issues, cirrhosis and Hep C, and emphysema. He and I are the only two she will call on. My husband and I have no children, but he does have his own business which is our livelihood. The daughter in law has finally gone back to N.O. It was really not a functional marriage. To top it off, my sister does not drive, so she depends on me or my nephew, who is struggling with his own health and life issues. We know she is grieving but don't know how what more to do. I want to get back to living but can't just not help. She won't search out contacts through the available resources, i.e., senior services, referrals. We have suggested an adult living housing arrangement for 55+ yrs, but says it's too far from us.. and she would not see us as often. That would be about 40 minutes away. She has not been open to housing that offers their own transportation. She could possibly go back home and even get her old job back. But there is no immediate family there, but there are friends and a job. Of course, the city has high crime.....Help....it's so hard, especialy, for her to accept the things that have happened to her. Please share your thoughts.

Comments (5)

Sponsored