SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mominsmalltown

Does my mother have the right to be upset with me?

mominsmalltown
15 years ago

I've lived 5 minutes away from my mother for 7 years now. My son is 7 and my daughter is 4. We are now selling our house and moving closer to my husband's family which is about an hour and a half away.

There are reasons. One is better schools for my kids. Second, is that my husband's family misses us and wants to see us more. They are very involved with our kids when we're around. They love being with our kids and of course, our kids love being with them and their cousins. My mom is a good grandma, but she is less involved than I'd like. She doesn't come over much. She has never been much of a kid person and her grandchildren aren't an exception. She loves them dearly, but she doesn't really like "dealing" with them. She has little patience and so does my stepdad. She shows her love in other ways like presents and stuff. She does help out when I really need her like taking my son to his sporting events on occassion. I love her, but I just think distance is best for our relationship and best for our kids for many reasons.

She's very upset. She is even distancing herself from us and I see her very little now. She's cold when we're together. She also sees the kids less which was never much to begin with so now it's hardly ever.

Does she have the right to distance herself and be upset with me? She says she was hurt at first, but now she's okay. That's so obviously not true by her actions. What do I do?

Comments (12)

Sponsored