SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
penny_gw

Making The Kids Happy

Penny
22 years ago

What a holiday season! Our oldest son and his wife chose last year to visit us on Christmas Eve rather than Christmas day. Their holiday season is SO hectic they wanted to spend the day at home with their three kids. I thought it was just fine and supported them even though our other two children thought it was horrible. They reacted this year by demanding their OWN celebrations, too. Second son wanted Christmas Day brunch from 11 to 3. Daughter wanted Christmas Day dinner from 4 to 8. They compromised on noon to 3:30 and 3:30 to 8. The noon - 3:30 family was annoyed that we didn't open gifts until the 3 - 8 shift arrived. (DH insisted the kids all be together for opening gifts. He's still not happy oldest son and family come on Christmas Eve. The only good thing about it is when our kids were small we always celebrated Christmas Eve more than Christmas Day so it reminds us of the old days.) I made and cleaned up Christmas Eve dinner. I made and cleaned up a big Christmas Brunch. I copped out with Christmas Day dinner and served salad, baked potatoes and filet mignon. (No complaints, though.) The work and expense of this is just TOO much for me! I can't have us all on Christmas Eve because second son and daughter both have traditions with the other side of the family. I can't switch to a Sunday near Christmas because second son and daughter want to be here for Christmas Day. I can't demand everyone be here on Christmas Day because oldest son wants the day for his own family. What am I to do?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz