Return to the Grandparents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please -Please warn your Grandkids about--

Posted by craftyrn (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 01 at 11:55

I am posting this in the hope of preventing a tragedy such as we had last week-one of our Grandsons-17 yrs old-hung himself with -as we now find out from investigation of the authorities-apparent urging/manipulation of a girl he was involved with over the internet--she apparently has done this before. I realize that the blame is not solely hers but young minds can be manipulated so very easily & peer influence plays such a large part in teens lives--Jimmy was appparently feeling very lost & we all missed signs that MUST have been there but his behavior hadn't changed, his closest friends were unaware, his parents gave him the privacy of his emails & phone calls--they talked openly about this girl & had even spoken with her mother & had made arrangments to take Jimmy to meet her with (the supervision of both families) next week--the parents never mentioned anything about the problems this girl has --the authorities believe & we do to that the upcoming "meeting" probably triggered her to urge Jimmy into a suicide pact-at least that's what the emails of the last 2 days show.
I know there is a fine line between the privacy & space you must give the children but please , please be a snoopy old meddling Gramma & Grammpa and find out what your grandchildren are talking about--this can come out of the blue--Jimmy's behavior at school & home hadn't changed--he just bought his first old rattail truck & was fixing it up with his Dad--his driver's road test was this week--he was helping his Dad rebuild their snowmobile engine the night before this happened--he was fine that morning & seemed fine during the day at school & his parents got a call at ^ pm from this girl telling them that if he wasn't in for supper yet ( &he normally wasn't home on that particular evening he spent with his friends until 7 or so ) to check the woods-he was out there hanging.
Please talk to your Children & grandchildren & warm them CONSTANTLY about the sick maniplative people out there -we thought we had

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please -Please warn your Grandkids about--

I have heard of this kind of thing and it is terrible, I feel so bad for you and your whole family, my thoughts are with you and my prayers too. My children are grown but I do have grandchildren,only 3 and 1. I absolutely hate manipulation of any kind. Again, you will remain in my thoughts one grandparent to another...

o

I am lucky as both my adult children who have families are very snoopy and I also ask lots of questions. I am sorry that your family missed some of the signs, but with all the computer/TV/etc, we as parents have to be on guard all the time. Just a thought, be sure and have the law enforcement investigate the girl and her family. Maybe they can save other lives.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
Marie

o

My gosh, I'm so sorry for your loss. Isn't something going to happen to this girl? Are you saying she has manipulated at least one young man to hang himself--for her? And that she does this to amuse herself?

o

There is an investigation going on-but the authorities tell us it's a very hard thing to prove-the girl is & has been in consuling & is propably not responsible for her actions but at this stage we are hoping the authorities can step in and exert some type of control over her future access to the internet--but as we found out the hard way there is apparently alot of this going on--lot of sick preditors out there preying on impressionable minds--so please please be snoopy & look into what your young ones are doing on the net-even if they're 17.

o

My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. I can't begin to imagine how you feel. I will keep you in my prayers.

o

I am so sorry you and your family are suffering through this now. And so proud of you that while in pain and searching for answers, you are trying to prevent others from going through this. Geez, I don't know what else to say. I'm sorry, and I'm sure everyone reading your message is grieving with you and praying for you to get through this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grandparents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here